ipad iphone synchronisation

Reaction score
hello and thanks for looking at this post - i originally posted this in the switcher hangout by mistake - please excuse my ignorance - friend of mine has a (fairly recent) iPhone (donated by his son) and has just bought an iPad Air 2- both have the latest software. The apple ID on both is the same. he assumed that Notes entries, calendar entries etc would appear on both devicesi.e. the two devices would be synchronised. This is not happening. Any advice to make this happen would be appreciated. He does not have a mac computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not double post. If you think that your post is in the wrong forum, ask a moderator to move it for you. I deleted your duplicate post in the "Switcher" forum.

friend of mine has a (fairly recent) iPhone (donated by his son) and has just bought an iPad Air 2- both have the latest software. The apple ID on both is the same. he assumed that Notes entries, calendar entries etc would appear on both devicesi.e. the two devices would be synchronised. This is not happening. Any advice to make this happen would be appreciated. He does not have a mac computer.

Have him turn on iCloud drive on both devices. He can do that by tapping Settings, iCloud, iCloud drive on. Then, turn on whichever options he wishes to sync: Photos, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Notes, Reminders, Safari, and so forth.

It may take a few minutes or so for everything to sync up, but afterward it will be almost immediate when he makes new entries. And by the way, he does not have to have a Mac computer. If he has a PC, and downloads the latest iTunes for Windows, he will be able to manage both devices easily especially when attached to his PC via USB.

OP
B
Reaction score
Apologies chscag for the doublepost. Thank you for the advice. Fairly confident that we turned everything on re Idrive on both devices butt will double-check. The friend doesn't have a pc either so just relying on the devices.

C

chas_m

Apple ID can equal, but does not have to equal, an iCloud account (if you had an Apple ID from before iCloud went live, or are using an outdated iOS version.

So, make sure you also have an iCloud account. Easy way to test: on any desktop or notebook computer (not an iOS device), visit iCloud.com and log in using your Apple ID. If it works, they are the same. If it doesn't, there's your problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Chas_m. The friend had a previous apple ID on the phone (since deleted) and the phone was associated with his son. I will use my mac to investigate his iCloud account credentials.

Reaction score
Apple ID can equal, but does not have to equal, an iCloud account (if you had an Apple ID from before iCloud went live, or are using an outdated iOS version.

So, make sure you also have an iCloud account. Easy way to test: on any desktop or notebook computer (not an iOS device), visit iCloud.com and log in using your Apple ID. If it works, they are the same. If it doesn't, there's your problem.

Yeah I think this answer got it right. Try and if it doesn't work wait for other replies to this thread. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Checked device settings on both devices - iOS 8.1.2 on both - iCloud drive on on both - mail, notes etc all on. Same apple id on both. Got friend to log onto iCloud.com on my laptop using same apple id and that was fine too.

Notes, mail etc now synchronising on both devices so hurrah but there is one curious anomaly.

Added a calendar event to the iPhone and it immediately appears on the iPad but doesn't appear on the iPhone.

Added multiple events in December to the iPhone. They all appear on the iPad but the iPhone shows no events for December!

There is only one calendar on both devices.

Thank you everybody for your help. My friend is pleased that it's all pretty much OK. I have been promised a beer! Sorry I can't share it with you all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.