add pop mail account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Just did a clean install of Yosemite. First thing I did after updating was to configure mail. All my stuff had been saved in iCloud, so no problem, except my main pop mail account was not able to connect, even though a 2nd pop account has the same details. I ended up removing my main pop account and attempted to add it back, except it would only be added back as an IMAP account. I can't find a way to convert it to a pop account or even choose pop as what I want my new account to be. What's going on? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Who are the POP/IMAP accounts with? It is hard to give specifics not knowing who you are working with. I have a Live account, a work account, and a gmail account. They all set up differently. I know with my gmail account I had to go to gmail, log on, go to my settings and then I can indicate if I want a POP or IMAP account.

Yosemite can be a bit tricky to get mail set up on. I got very frustrated with it and ended up waiting a day, and it fixed itself. It may have been due to settings I had to change at the live and gmail sights or the evil email genie finally left me alone.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Lisa,
I watched a video that explained Yosemite was making the assumption the new account I was adding was an IMAP because Apple just wants to make life easier. One solution was to initially type in a false email address and upon trying to connect, you were presented with a window to choose which type of account this was to be and then you typed in the correct info. The other and more direct solution is to type in all the correct info at the beginning but to hold the option key as you select next after typing in the password. There you again see the selection for IMAP or pop. Why this isn't made obvious is confusing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Tape

That work around looks promising. I remember setting up my gmail account and having fits. I tried changing the account at google mail to imap and back to pop. Gmail is not a main account for me so I wasn't worried about lost emails but I use it for my calendar and contacts. Back in the days before my iPhone I had Androids so I got started using google for backing up my calendar and contacts.

I am not sure how I finally got the gmail to work as a pop. I do remember the additional setup options when I set up my work email since it is not a yahoo/gmail/hotmail/live account. That one let me have manual setup options.

For some reason Apple assumes, and I am afraid correctly, that most people want the simple set up where OS X does it all. I just wish they had the check box for manual like Outlook does or a prompt that says "Hold the Option key for manual!"

So I am assuming you got it all working. Thanks for sharing the work-a-round!

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.