Emptying some but not all trash

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro and yosemite. I want to empty some but not all of my trash. When I click on one or more items in trash, I get a "empty trash" icon that I'm scared to press as it may empty all items in trash. Is there a way to empty some but not all items?

Reaction score
Take out the files you don't want to delete, to say your desktop, Empty Trash and then return the files to the Trash.

May I ask what the files are doing in the Trash if you don't want to delete them?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there a way to empty some but not all items?

Think of the Apple trash can just like the trash can in your kitchen. You don't throw anything in the trash can that is not trash!

If you have items in the Apple trash can that you do not want to delete…then DON'T put these items in the trash can!;)

The Apple trash can is for items that are to be deleted. It is not "limbo"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
One of the guys at work used to keep his games in the recycle bin (windows). He would get very upset when they disappeared occasionally. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.