How Do I Keep My Mouse Pointer To Always Stay As A Pointer?

Reaction score
Hi there. I have changed my mouse pointer to a large black pointer so it's easy to find and easy to insert into text that I need to edit. However, my pointer changes to a figure that has a line at the top and bottom and joined by a vertical line. I find this very challenging to place in a specific spot to edit text or to close a window. I called Apple Care and they suggested that I reload OS X Yosemite - it made no difference. Is there an expert out there who could assist me in correcting this issue? I would appreciate it very much! Thank you!

Reaction score
That is simply the insertion cursor in text, it changes back to the arrow pointer where that is appropriate, say for closing the window.

It is important to change the cursor so that it fits between letters in text, or becomes a pen or brush to draw with or a hand to move with. If you didn't have that you would have no clue as to how the computer is responding.

Do you have visual disabilities or is this simply your own idea of how things should work?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I understand what you are saying. However, I feel that the insertion cursor is difficult to place in the desired spot. Is there any way to keep the pointer and not change it to the insertion cursor? Thanks!

Reaction score
This is a typical computer design. Mac, PC or Linux.

If you are not used to it, maybe you are aiming the cursor in the wrong spot. It is quite tolerant of being too high or too low. I am long used to it but playing with it just now I can not see how using the arrow cursor makes it easier.

In fact you need the arrow cursor because it is part of showing you what happens if you use click and drag to move chunks of text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.