Problem with Safari

Reaction score
Hello! I am a brand new Mac user. I am hoping that belonging to a community like this will make my transition from Windows based computers easier.

My first issue is: I was trying to view a video on YouTube when it informed me that the browser on my used Macbook was out of date. I went to a web site and downloaded the latest Safari browser. After it was installed I went to open it and it informed me that my operating system didn't support it, so now I have NO browser!

What do I do now? On a Windows computer I would go to a System Restore point and start over.

This is an older Macbook that I acquired from my grandaughter, so I am somewhat ignorant of the process. Any help is appreciated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We'll need to know some more information about your machine to better advice you which browsers will run.

What are your Macs specs? You can find that information by going to the Apple menu item in the upper left of the screen and choose About This Mac. The next screen will show some info about your machine such as processor, amount of memory etc. Jot that down and let us know the results.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sure!

MAC OS X
version 10.6.8

Processor 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Macbook

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's a download link for Safari. That should get it current. Once you have done that run Software Update to make sure everything is current.

That version of Safari is older but is the latest that has been released for 10.6.8. There may be some web features that do not play nice with it. Going to a newer version of Safari would require updating the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And updating may not be available. If this is a 2006 MacBook 1.1, Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 is as far as you can go. A Mid 2007 MacBook 2 .1 can go one operating system more, Lion OS X.7. With only 2GB of memory possible, suggest you stay where you are.

You may like to try Firefox which may well run later versions than Safari which is tied to the operating system.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey! I sure appreciate the response....now here comes the stupid question...if I have no browser, how do I get to the web page you suggested in order to download the version of Safari you suggest?

I have other computers, but is there a way to get to this using the Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The original Safari should still be in the Applications Folder as it is extremely difficult to delete. If no joy, use a PC machine, download the Mac Firefox, copy it to a USB thumb drive formatted Fat32 and see if you can then open Firefox when the thumb drive is connected to your Mac.

http://www.mozillafirefox.us/mac.html

OP
K
Reaction score
I can find the Applications Folder...Safari is there, but has a circle with a line through it. When I double click on it I get the message "You can't use this version of the application Safari with this version of Mac OS X. You have Mac OS X 10.6.8. The Application requires Mac OS X 10.9 or later"

I will try the next suggestion...thanks

OP
K
Reaction score
Your download link for Firefox worked the way you suggested! I think I will try that for a browser...thank you so much for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should you get FF up and running you can always get the correct version of Safari. See if you can drag the crossed out version to the Trash.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1569

Reaction score
yea the safari installers make no sense if the latest version of safari won't work on snow leopard why does it allow it to be installed ???

same with flash player i can install the latest version of flash player and it works with leopard intel version but if i try to run adobe's installer it blocks it from installing saying i need 10.4.11 or lower to run it???

it's odd very odd with installers

OP
K
Reaction score
I agree, it installed fine, but when I went to use it I was told that it would not run on my OS. It left me kind of out there without a paddle. Thankful for the help I received here. I now have Firefox and will give that a try.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved here to Apps and Games. Definitely not a topic for the "Lounge".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.