Missing files

W

westforwishing9

I have a dual 1.25 powermac g4 with os 10.4.4. I have a firewire drive that has files on it but finder doesnt show them. How can i fix this. I tried repairing the disk and the permissions. What can I do?

OP
L

lil

Where is the drive from?

Another Mac, PC or Un*x box?

Sometimes creating a new folder in the root of the drive or folder can make them appear (quite often happens with .SIT archives and classic folders).

Vicky

OP
W

westforwishing9

the firewire drive is a LACIE my dad let me borrow. its a bunch of archive files and such. I dont know how to use terminal

OP
K

Kokopelli

Was the Drive hooked up to a windows box or a Mac before this? If a Windows box what version of Windows?

If you want to look at the hard drive from terminal.
1) Open a terminal
2) "cd /Volumes"
3) "ls"
4) Find the name of the FW drive in the list.
5) "ls -a ./<FW Drive Name>/"

Let us know if that comes up empty of if you see your missing files. If you get an error with any of those commands after you have verified spelling let us know that as well. I have seen this problem once or twice with one of my FAT32 Drives. To be honest I did not pay attention when I fixed it so do not remember what I did.

The reason I am asking you to look from terminal is if the files have the hidden flag set they will not show up in Finder. They will show up in bash though. So let's at least find out if we can see the files at all on your Mac.

OP
W

westforwishing9

Yes it shows in terminal....

It was hooked to a windows box... Probably 2000 or XP.

Its format is Mac os Extended (journaled)

OP
K

Kokopelli

Oops sorry did not see your previous message. It is HFS+ ... No problem. They are just set to be hidden then.

This should help.

If you want to unhide the files permanently (rather than showing hidden files.) we will have to figure out why they are hidden. There are a couple of possible reasons for this. Go to the bottom of this page for a listing of the most known.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.