Reinstalling OSX on a new Hard drive

Reaction score
My Maxbook's HD died so I replaced the HD myself with the replacement HD being the same model as the one that came in my Macbook.

Since replacing my HD I have put in my installation disc into my Mac and it first recognizes that the disc is there and then once I click on the disc it just shows the apple logo.

I have tried booting up my Macbook in safe mode and I have also tried holding "option" down as I turn it on.

Does anyone have any tips for fixing this issue? Is this normal when installing a new HD?

Does anyone have any

Reaction score
Are you sure your Installer DVD is not an upgrade?

In other words it expects an existing older OSX on the HDD.

OP
B
Reaction score
My Macbook is a 2010 and I got it customized from Apple so I never had an installation disc with it because it came pre-installed. I've tried both a Snow Leopard disc and an older installation disc from 2008. Would I have to have a disc from 2010?

Reaction score
You can't install a lower version of OSX than was current at the time of the model being released.

Look up MacTracker to see what that was.

Late 2010 would have been OSX 10.7 (Lion).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no late 2010 MacBook. The last MacBook from Apple was a Mid 2010 and it came pre-installed with 10.6.3 which would be Snow Leopard.

@OP: You need to identify which version of OS X came pre-installed. For sure the older version of OS X from 2008 (likely Leopard) is not going to work. And unless you have the exact DVD of Snow Leopard that came with your MacBook, that won't work either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.