Transferring a custom color palette to other apps and computers

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a way to copy a custom color palette between iWorks apps and computers. My company requires me to use a certain set of custom colours for all presentations and marketing information. There must be an easier way to do this than setting it up on each app and computer.

Reaction score
Your apps have to have a function to save and load swatches. Adobe apps have this feature. But I don't know if iWorks has. In any case, there's no standard format for exchanging swatches.

I guess you'll just have to create a doc in iWorks with all the colors and select them using the color picker of the other apps that you want to edit with.

This would apply to apps that don't use Apples Color Picker though, which allows you to create custom palettes. You might find some useful utilities here. http://www.northernspysoftware.com/software/colorpicker

Last edited:
Reaction score
The swatches in the Color Picker are not for Pages or any specific app they are for the particular OSX User and available to all applications for that User.

There is no simple or reliable way to copy and transfer swatches between Users or Macs. If there was the new swatches would replace all existing swatches.

You could make up a color bar of shapes in Pages that could be saved in a file, which could be transferred and then those colors sampled from the Color Picker on the new Account/Mac. Not a very quick or easy method and it comes with all sorts of potentials for mistakes.

If you are using Pages 5 that has Object Styles so you could set up some Object Styles, Paragraph and Character Styles and save those in a Corporate Template.

You need to build up all the details though because any changes can't be retrospectively refreshed to multiple selections or documents.

Reaction score
See if you can export it as a .clr file. Then just put it in ~/Library/Colors. Or, if there is more than one user per computer, in /Library/Colors.
Note: ~ means your home folder.

Reaction score
The Color Picker has no Export function and near as I can tell the colors are in the NSColorPanelSwatches.plist

If you examine the .plist in a TextEditor there is a large data block which I take to be the Swatches matrix, simply because there is a mass of //////s interspersed with some hexadecimal.

So one replaces another. You could very well end up chasing your tail on this and never be sure there is any consistency.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.