My New Membership

Reaction score
I just joined this forum to figure out how to fix my MacBook Pro with a Parallel Desktop that I updated to Yosemite. I did this to follow the Apple tech's advice on keeping up with the updates to keep my now 3 year old computer running smoothly. Well, now I cannot use the Parallel Desktop nor can I print or find the printer I uninstalled to reinstall as advised on this forum....So I keep reading and hope to find my fix. =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Regarding Parallels, try booting up and immediately holding down the Option key. That will advise what is available on your MBP to boot from. Hopefullly your Parallels will appear alongside OS X.10 and Recovery.

For your printer, go into System Preferences > Print & Scan and hit the little (-) button under the printer list in the left hand pane. If the pane is locked click on the padlock and enter your admin password. Then with the printer connected via USB, and powerd up, hit the little (+) button and it should appear in the left hand pane

Keep us posted if further problems Diana?

Reaction score
you have to have the latest version of parallels this is why i use virtual box

OP
D
Reaction score
Parallel

I do have the most current version of the Parallel Desktop.....

Also what is MBP?

OP
D
Reaction score
I just connected the Epson Artison printer to my MacBook Pro and it did appear and print while connected with the USB, however it does not connect wirelessly (but it does still appear as not connected).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP = MacBook Pro! Wireless printers an take a bit of seting up via the router etc.

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh, duh...okay, I will try it with the router and also the steps for the PD...Thanks a million!:Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better location. Not a "Schweb's Lounge" topic.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I tried to start the PD again while holding down the option key and got the same results that essentially freezes up the entire computer and then this message appears after which the Mac side of the computer unfreezes after I click stop.

"An error occurred while accessing the Hard Disk 0 used by "Windows 7".Click Retry to try again or click Stop to forcibly stop the virtual machine. If this error persists, please contact the Parallels support team for assistance.

Note: If you stop the virtual machine "Windows 7" now, you will lose all unsaved data.

Error ID: PRL_ERR_DISK_WRITE_FAILED (80021027), errno=5 (Input/output error)."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried the suggestion of Parallels Support?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
PD = Police Department? ;)

MBP Myelin Basic Protein
MBP Macbook Pro (Apple notebook computer)
MBP Mechanical Breakdown Protection
MBP Maltose Binding Protein
MBP Major Basic Protein
MBP Mannose Binding Protein
MBP Maintenance Bypass (panel; electronics)
MBP Munchausen By Proxy
MBP Million Book Project
MBP Massachusetts Bays Program
MBP Merchant Banking Partners
MBP Man Bear Pig (South Park cartoon)
MBP Metal Binding Protein
MBP Molluscan Broodstock Program (Newport, OR; est. 1996)
MBP Molecular Biology of Plants
MBP Marquette Branch Prison (Michigan Department of Corrections)
MBP Master Buy Plan
MBP Mexican Brown Pride
MBP MiniBusPlus Limited (UK minibus insurance)
MBP major binding protein
MBP Microstrip Beam Probe
MBP Monthly Basic Pay
MBP Main Booster Pump
MBP (Network) Management at Boundary Point
MBP Monthly Bonus Prizes
MBP Management By Plan
MBP Movable Boundary Protocol
MBP Methodologies and Best Practices
MBP Mark Burnett Productions (Los Angeles, CA)
MBP Music Business Program
MBP Miejska Biblioteka Publiczna (Polish: City Public Library)

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, Parallels insist that it is a MBP problem....I've been dealing with this for a while. When I learned of the Yosemite issues I thought perhaps that was worth consideration, especially since I have recently lost the ability to print.

M

MacInWin

What I think you need to do is to run a Repair Permissions on the drive. Open Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder of Applications) and then select your drive on the left column, then click on the Repair Permissions on the right side. Let it run. The error message says basically that when Parallels tried to write to the virtual drive it encountered a problem. Most likely this is just that the permissions on the file don't let YOU write to it, which should be corrected by a permissions repair.

As for the wireless printing, I don't have any concrete suggestions but I will suggest that you check for the latest drivers for the Epson from Epson. You can also try completely removing the printer from OS X and reinstalling from scratch. That will trigger Yosemite to get the latest driver that Apple knows about. Wireless printing IS a bit tricky, but it does work in Yosemite, I have it working here.

OP
D
Reaction score
ok, my printing problem has been sorted out. I still have the Parallel Desktop problem....I tried running permissions repair but still get the same message..."An error occurred while accessing the Hard Disk 0 used by "Windows 7".Click Retry to try again or click Stop to forcibly stop the virtual machine. If this error persists, please contact the Parallels support team for assistance.

Note: If you stop the virtual machine "Windows 7" now, you will lose all unsaved data.

Error ID: PRL_ERR_DISK_WRITE_FAILED (80021027), errno=5 (Input/output error)."

The Parallel Desktop people insist it is a Mac problem due to the input/output error.

M

MacInWin

Open Disk Utility, select the drive on which the virtual image is stored and run Verify Disk. If you get errors, run Repair Disk. It's beginning to look like a hard drive beginning to fail. Make backup, now, just in case.

OP
D
Reaction score
Actually that is what I have been told when this has happened in the past. I have done the disk repair. Still have the same problem. Is this when I contact Apple support?

M

MacInWin

One more thing before you call Apple. Open PD, do NOT start the Windows machine. Right click on the name of the virtual machine, then select "Show in Finder." When the Finder window opens, right click on the name of the file and Get Info. At the bottom of the resulting window will be a section on Sharing and permissions. Make sure your account has Read & Write privilege. If it does, then I'm out of ideas and it's time to call Apple. If it doesn't, click on the lock icon give your admin password and change your entry to "Read & Write."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You sure started with a curly one Diana. Good luck with Apple Support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.