Password-protecting folders

M

michaelk69

Hi there,

I was just wondering . . . is there a way to password-protect an entire folder?

I've read some of the info about 'keychains', but couldn't quite figure out if I could somehow use one . . . or some other method . . . for password protecting a particular folder or file.

Can anyone help?

OP
D

Desolate One

Hmmm, just downloaded and installed Locker and I'm wondering, wot exactly is this doing? I can still open the locked folders and files just as if they didn't have a lock in the little icon. I'm guessing this locks the folders/files from other users on the network, is that correct?
Unfortunately the ReadMe and Help are the exact same document and they don't really say squat. I'm actually looking for something that will require a password to open the locked folder/file regardless of who is logged in. Anything like that out there?

Thanks again guys. :)

OP
D

Desolate One

Nevermind guys. I think I'll just end up creating an encrypted disk image for my sensitive files. This seems to be the safest way to handle these types of files.

Thanks again! ;)

OP
B

Badger

You can also switch to OS9/Classic and use the Apple file security software. It works on any file. The disadvantages are having to switch into OS 9 and that it does files only, not folders.

OP
J

jayde5

Folder password

Desolate One
I'm using some software to hide and protect password for my folders... Apimac Secret Folder X 2.6.5 or Lamesecure found very use full...

I hope it will solve your problem.
Have fun xxx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i just hide the folders i dont want anyone to see

in the Terminal:
mv folderName .folderName

then it will be "hidden" from all user accounts. (it becomes a folder only viewable by the root user). but to bring the folder back up:

in Finder:
Go >> Go To Folder (Shift+Command+g) >> Type in exact path (ie. /Users/username/Documents/.folderName)

or in Terminal:
open /Users/username/Documents/.folderName

OP
D

Desolate One

MacAddikt said:
i just hide the folders i dont want anyone to see

in the Terminal:
mv folderName .folderName

then it will be "hidden" from all user accounts. (it becomes a folder only viewable by the root user). but to bring the folder back up:

in Finder:
Go >> Go To Folder (Shift+Command+g) >> Type in exact path (ie. /Users/username/Documents/.folderName)

or in Terminal:
open /Users/username/Documents/.folderName

Sweet!

OP
J

jayde5

Protect your Folder with Password

Hi Guyz I saw few people raised the question about Protecting a folder...
Lamesecure is free and usefull software for Apple Mac to make your any Folder with password protection...let me know if you have any problem.
Have fun xxx

Please change the extension LameSecure.zip to LameSecure.sit

View attachment LameSecure.zip

OP
L

lookoverthere

jayde5 said:
Lamesecure is free and usefull software for Apple Mac to make your any Folder with password protection...let me know if you have any problem.
Have fun xxx

Im trying to access the download but for some reason the forums won't let me. Do i need a certain type of permission to be able to d/l the file?

any help is appreciated. thnx

OP
J

jayde5

lookoverthere said:
Im trying to access the download but for some reason the forums won't let me. Do i need a certain type of permission to be able to d/l the file?

any help is appreciated. thnx

You don't need any permission to get Lamesecure, I just did that and works fine if you try few times it might work.
if not you can e-mail me and I'll send you.
good luck
xxx
:mail:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac Intel 2 GB OS 10.5.8, Powerbook sys 10,4.11, iPod Touch 2nd gen, OS4
LameSecure works well but it does not allow searches within the protected folder.
Nice drag and drop feature. It appears to make my mac think the "secure folder" is an application. Thanks for the useful App

Reaction score
Have fun xxx

hi!
I liked this applicatory
but it does not block the folder of being excluded
somebody knows as to block a folder of being excluded and being visualized ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.