PowerPC Applications no longer supported

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have an issue with my macbook, what can I do when it says that PowerPC Applications are no longer supported?
Thanks for your help
Mike

ps My operating system is Mavericks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Power PC applications were only supported in OS X up to Snow Leopard, and then Rosetta had to be installed. The options are to upgrade the old applications, live without them if you no longer need or use them, or restore your older OS from the Time Machine or cloned backup you took before upgrading.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Mavericks does not support Power PC applications. The last version of OS X that did was Snow Leopard (10.6.8). You basically have two options here:

1. Re-install Snow Leopard either on the entire drive or on a partition with the Power PC apps you need to run. This will require rebooting to Snow Leopard when you need those apps.
2. Either upgrade the Power PC apps or find alternative apps that are already using Intel code (virtually anything written in the last several years)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What application specifically is it that you're trying to run? We can help you find an alternative or an updated version of the app.

C

chas_m

Where ya been, Rip Van Winkle? Welcome to 2011! :)

(I'm just kidding you. I strongly endorse Vansmith's suggestion -- we can certainly offer some help with finding an updated or replacement app for just about anything you need to work from the PPC days)

OP
M
Reaction score
yes Chas, actually I was in uncle tom's cabin, just kidding
anyway I'm trying to install MatlabR2014b
I'd like to keep on running mavericks and trying to find alternative apps (so far I can't find them)
(I don't wanna get back to snow leopard using virtual machines or hard drives...)

OP
M
Reaction score
The java I have is the most up-to-date one (Version 8 update 25), so I think it's not due to it.
Thank you anyway Chas.
I'd like to follow Slydude's suggestion, that is to say upgrading the Power PC apps or find alternative apps that are already using Intel code,
does anyone know how?

Thanks to everyone

C

chas_m

If you have the most up-to-date Java correctly installed, then the current (and, for that matter, most recent) versions of MatLab should work correctly. What error are you getting? It may be time to drop an email to the MatLab people and describe your setup.

OP
M
Reaction score
The error is this: by the time I double click the icon "InstallForMacOSX" it says that I can't open it because powerPC applications are no longer supported.
Maybe I'll drop an email to those folks yeah
thanks

C

chas_m

Sounds like you have an old installer (a separate app from MatLab itself) that is the real source of your problem. Definitely check with the MatLab folks about that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.