Buying a new iMac. Need help in configuring it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
Hi,

My 2008 iMac has just about had it and I'm about to buy one of the new 5k Retina iMacs and have a few questions on the best configuration to buy.

1. THe base model comes with a 1TB Fusion drive. Is this a 1TB SATA drive plus a small SSD or is the total of the two 1TB? I just can't tell from the Apple site.

2. I have a choice between a mouse and a trackpad. I've never liked using a trackpad on laptops but mice always seem to break after a while. Is using the trackpad similar to using the laptop version or is it a different experience? Can you right click on a trackpad?

3. The base model comes with 8 gigs of ram (2 x 4). I was planning to buy an additional 16 gigs (2 x 8) and insert them in the two open slots, but a friend has told me that I can't mix 4 gig cards with 8 gig cards. Is that true and is there a way around that?

Thanks.

Mark

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1. THe base model comes with a 1TB Fusion drive. Is this a 1TB SATA drive plus a small SSD or is the total of the two 1TB? I just can't tell from the Apple site.

For simplicity sake…it's a 1TB drive.

2. I have a choice between a mouse and a trackpad. I've never liked using a trackpad on laptops but mice always seem to break after a while. Is using the trackpad similar to using the laptop version or is it a different experience? Can you right click on a trackpad?

Just like a trackpad on a laptop…just larger.

3. The base model comes with 8 gigs of ram (2 x 4). I was planning to buy an additional 16 gigs (2 x 8) and insert them in the two open slots, but a friend has told me that I can't mix 4 gig cards with 8 gig cards. Is that true and is there a way around that?

Of course the ram can be different densities. 2 x 4gig + 2 x 8gig will be just fine. As long as the ram is the correct specs…it's all good.:) Your friend is full of it (get smarter friends)!lol…just kidding.;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
THanks pigoo3.

Just so I don't misunderstand, assuming for example that the SSD portion is 125gigs, the SATA portion is only 875 and the total 1 TB. I'm struggling between whether to buy the 1TB or 3TB drives and this is important to me. I do not need 3 TB but do want a full 1 TB for data. (My current iMac has 500 gigs).

Great news about the RAM. I can now have 24 gigs.

Reaction score

You just can't mix sizes in parallel slots; in other words, you can't install a 4G and an 8G in those two open slots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
I upgraded from the 2008 model to the 27" retina iMac and love it. I went with 16GB ram from the factory and find it fantastic. I was told that after 16GB, you will not notice much of a difference for regular computer activity. Now, if you need much more for a special reason, that is different. You are going to be amazed at the difference 6 years makes with your new desktop. Hope this helps with your configure plans.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You just can't mix sizes in parallel slots; in other words, you can't install a 4G and an 8G in those two open slots.

Got it. Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I upgraded from the 2008 model to the 27" retina iMac and love it. I went with 16GB ram from the factory and find it fantastic. I was told that after 16GB, you will not notice much of a difference for regular computer activity. Now, if you need much more for a special reason, that is different. You are going to be amazed at the difference 6 years makes with your new desktop. Hope this helps with your configure plans.

Very glad to hear that. I'm really hoping that with the new processor, additional ram and Fusion Drive the new machine will hum. I just wish that the SSD storeage was on top of the 1 TB SATA drive and not a part of the 1 TB.

Reaction score
THanks pigoo3.

Just so I don't misunderstand, assuming for example that the SSD portion is 125gigs, the SATA portion is only 875 and the total 1 TB. I'm struggling between whether to buy the 1TB or 3TB drives and this is important to me. I do not need 3 TB but do want a full 1 TB for data. (My current iMac has 500 gigs).

Great news about the RAM. I can now have 24 gigs.

My Fusion drive reports 1.11Tb. So I guess I have a full 1Tb to use. Remember that OSX requires space, so as a user you will not get a full 1Tb for user data and apps.

I have read on this site and others, that some people have had problems with their Fusion drives. I haven't. It works very well.

C

chas_m

A 1TB fusion drive is a 1TB hard drive and a 128GB SSD literally fused together on the hard drive assembly.

I think you'll find that modern Apple trackpads bear little resemblance to what you're thinking of as a "notebook trackpad." The Magic Trackpad in particular made a believer out of me in about 10 minutes. Of course you can "right-click" on a trackpad, only it's a two-finger click (or tap) rather than literally the right half of the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
A 1TB fusion drive is a 1TB hard drive and a 128GB SSD literally fused together on the hard drive assembly.

I think you'll find that modern Apple trackpads bear little resemblance to what you're thinking of as a "notebook trackpad." The Magic Trackpad in particular made a believer out of me in about 10 minutes. Of course you can "right-click" on a trackpad, only it's a two-finger click (or tap) rather than literally the right half of the trackpad.

Totally agree. I wasn't sure about getting a trackpad but after a few minutes I was very happy.
Hardly ever use a mouse now.

Reaction score
Still can't beat the precision of a mouse for real work.

We are not all just pointers and clickers. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Still can't beat the precision of a mouse for real work.

We are not all just pointers and clickers. ;)

For Precision work such as Photoshop or drawing then a graphics tablet is needed, not a mouse.

I agree that a mouse is more precise than a trackpad but not enough for anything really precise

Reaction score
Mine is DTP and Vector graphics.

All the Graphics tablets I have ever tried have lag, yuck!

Apple's Magic Mouse with the combination of traditional mouse plus touch senstive surface, gives me the best of both worlds. But I appreciate no solution fits all users. My wife even uses her mouse on the left hand side of her Macbook, despite being right handed. Painful to watch, my hand keeps darting out wanting to just grab the thing and get it done.

She sure could use the Magic Mouse but isn't going to listen. Ever! :D

This just gave me the thought to go on eBay and buy her a Bluetooth mouse stocking stuffer for Christmas!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.