Apple Lemon Policy

H

hkronin

I bought an ibook at the end of 2003 with the extended Applecare plan. The logic board has failed 3 times causing my screen to go blank. After the 3rd time, I wanted them to replace my computer since it is OBVIOUSLY defective, and the absolutly refuse.

Does anyone know of any recourse I could take to get my "lemon" replaced. I tried escalating the issue with Apple, the people who answer the phones are super nice, but when you get the people higher up, they are very rude and unhelpful.

Does anyone know of any recourse I could take to get my "lemon" replaced?

OP
N

Nycelle

Check out your country's consumer law and quote it. Most consumer acts have a clause about goods being "fit for the purpose intended" and "of merchantable quality" and "as advertised", and if your computer problems fall under any of those headings, use of the actual legal terms can be effective.

Failing that, is there a local or national consumer agency you could contact? Consumer law relating to computers is still very shaky so your consumer association have probably encountered a problem like this before.

OP
O

ohell

lol - i see the same problem brings you to this forum. i hate to clutter up the place with logic board problems, as i still think they have the best OS, support and quality components.

the best advice i received from applecare rep was to visit the applestore on saturday and "jump up and down complaining". hopefully you have one close by. this person was probably fired but since i was very nice, had lots of stuff under my name and numerous complaints about my LB I think she was just trying to help.

i have done a lot of internet searching about people with logic board problems and have seen a few with several failures. I remember two that received new puters after the fourth failure. just keep on reporting your problem and complain every chance you get. eventually they will cave. - good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
hkronin said:
I bought an ibook at the end of 2003 with the extended Applecare plan. The logic board has failed 3 times causing my screen to go blank. After the 3rd time, I wanted them to replace my computer since it is OBVIOUSLY defective, and the absolutly refuse.

Does anyone know of any recourse I could take to get my "lemon" replaced. I tried escalating the issue with Apple, the people who answer the phones are super nice, but when you get the people higher up, they are very rude and unhelpful.

Does anyone know of any recourse I could take to get my "lemon" replaced?

it does not say where you are located, but if you happen to live in new jersey there is a lemon law that states after something has been fixed for the same thing after 3 times it must be replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.