Old iTunes - any reason to upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
I've still got iTunes 4.7.1. Do I need 6? I am addicted to music and I love keeping it all organised in a database. I DON'T need video in there and I don't acquire my music from the iTunes store! Will version 6 lock me into a particular music source? Is there one feature I haven't got now which I need? I have 4,172 MP3s = 26Gb which is much more valuable than my Mac itself (got much more vinyl, CDs and tapes!) and I can't afford to lose it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what OS are you running? 10.2, 10.3, 10.4?

S

steve zissou

theres no real reason why not to switch, it doesnt change anything that im aware of, and version 6 has better organization and i think more music

steve zissou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
It doesn't tie you into a particular music source, you can still import mp3's, rip from cd's etc.

I don't see a reason not to switch, as far as I know there aren't any reports of the upgrade deleting peoples music or anything drastic like that!

However off the top of my head I can't think of any outstanding features that 6 has over 4 (apart from maybe music store stuff), its still the same basic layout and way of organizing, and personally I think it looks a lot nicer! :)

OP
twitchymike@mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
Upgrade?

macAttack said:
what OS are you running? 10.2, 10.3, 10.4?

I got Panther 10.3.9. Why Tiger? Dashboard? Gay. Apple will push compatibility but £99? Nah. I can cope without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig
well, why not upgrade?
it's free innit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I personally like the classic "brushed steel" look of older iTunes editions. It looks so... windowsy now. It's just kind of, meh, you know? It doesn't have that sense of style most other Apple stuff has. The only reason I upgraded was because I just clicked through software update and before I knew it: BAM new iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
yeah well other than the music store not working and mp4 playback, you really don't need to update. I've always updated iTunes, in case it fixes bugs wih the iPod video. That's the other thing, if you're using anything before the iPod nano, you're good. It gets basic mp3 playback and ripping, so if you don't need videos or music from online, then you don't need to update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.