WEIRD blinking/strobe light effect in "Save As..." dialogue box

Reaction score
I captured a video of my issue; please view it at http://youtu.be/WcCzcvNs0NY to really understand what is happening

Whenever I attempt to save a Word or Excel file (the 2 apps I've noticed the issue with the most), I always have this weird blinking/strobe light effect in the "Save As" dialogue box. In addition, the entire Save process is painfully slow - whether I'm selecting the Save To folder, or creating a new folder, or renaming the file I am saving.

What gives? I have the most updated version of Office so I can't think what the issue is. I should mention: this problem started after I "upgraded" to Yosemite.

HELP plese!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never seen that before and I'm running the latest version of Mac Office 2011. No problem here with Save As and I'm using Yosemite.

Some specs might help us. Which Mac do you have? Model and year. How much memory installed and how much free space on your hard drive?

Reaction score
I get the same thing with the new Mac application version of Airdroid on startup.
Thought it was just a glitch. Maybe not?

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply! Here is the info you asked for:

Mac Model & Year: Macbook Pro 13 inch Mid-2010
Memory installed: 4GB
Free space: 155 GB out of 250 GB

I hope you can help me fix this O:)

I've never seen that before and I'm running the latest version of Mac Office 2011. No problem here with Save As and I'm using Yosemite.

Some specs might help us. Which Mac do you have? Model and year. How much memory installed and how much free space on your hard drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting your specs. It almost looks like a video or graphics glitch but if it's only happening when you're doing a "save as" in MS Office, it could be something in the program has gone wrong. Your MacBook Pro uses an integrated graphics chipset (nVidia GeoForce 320m) which shares memory with the system. But I would think if it's a problem with the GPU that it would show up in other programs also.

First thing to try is a reinstall of MS Office. You didn't mention which version of Office you're running? It's more difficult to remove and reinstall Office 2011 than earlier versions. Use the MS instructions at the follow KB link.

How to remove Office 2011

Removal and reinstall does not disturb your personal documents or templates but it's a good idea to back them up anyway. And make sure you have your serial number on hand!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am starting to wonder if it's some bug with some systems and some applications in Yosemite as Craig is also seeing the issue in another application.

OP
N
Reaction score
Drats!!!1 I do NOT have my serial number :( I've searched everywhere....

What do I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drats!!!1 I do NOT have my serial number :( I've searched everywhere....

What do I do?

Well for one, do not attempt to reinstall Mac Office without it unless you're prepared to buy another copy. The serial number (actually called Product Key) is written on a yellow sticker which is stuck on the back of the yellow envelope folder that holds your original CD of Mac Office. Didn't you keep the original box it came in?

I'm not certain that reinstalling does not remove the original Product Key data as that is usually placed in a hidden folder\file on your Mac. But why take a chance? If it asks for activation again, you will have no way to activate it without that Product Key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.