Sleep Mode and Trackpad / Keyboard Batteries

Reaction score
Hey there!

I was wondering a couple of things after recently buying a 27" iMac.

1. Is it ok to leave the Mac in sleep mode? I go on it everyday so it wont be left in sleep mode for a extreme periods of time maybe 6-7 hours on the weekdays and maybe less at weekend, obviously it wont be consistent because you cant plan your days but you get the point ;).

2. Do the keyboard and trackpad / mouse get put into sleep mode so the batteries are not being used after being idle for an amount of time?

All responses are appreciated!

-Connor

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My iMac, keyboard and trackpad are never turned off, only restart with system updates etc. The keyboard and Trackpad, and mouse, will all sleep to save battery power.

OP
C
Reaction score
My iMac, keyboard and trackpad are never turned off, only restart with system updates etc. The keyboard and Trackpad, and mouse, will all sleep to save battery power.

Thanks for the fast reply! Ive posted this on another forum and everyone has said its fine so I think I should be ok leaving it in sleep and the trackpad etc being left on ;)

-Connor

C

chas_m

Sleeping the Mac is definitely fine. In fact, it's what Apple recommends, though I'd also suggest buying a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to help protect that machine from brown-outs/power surges/momentary dropouts/etc.

I'm in the habit of actually turning off my keyboard and magic trackpad, but this is just an old habit and I have no evidence that I'm saving any power at all from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Agree w/ Harry - I just leave all on (or in sleep mode) - when I go out of town for more than a few nights, I will 'shut down' and of course if updates require a reboot - as also suggested, I've been using UPSs for years and the iMac is attached to one from APC. Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Sleeping the Mac is definitely fine. In fact, it's what Apple recommends, though I'd also suggest buying a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to help protect that machine from brown-outs/power surges/momentary dropouts/etc.

I'm in the habit of actually turning off my keyboard and magic trackpad, but this is just an old habit and I have no evidence that I'm saving any power at all from it.

Agree w/ Harry - I just leave all on (or in sleep mode) - when I go out of town for more than a few nights, I will 'shut down' and of course if updates require a reboot - as also suggested, I've been using UPSs for years and the iMac is attached to one from APC. Dave :)

Thanks for the replies! Will tell my Dad to invest in one of these UPS's your speaking of don't want him breaking the new bit of kit!

Thanks again!

Connor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.