10 GB mixed RAM, 8 GB Crucial RAM, or 8 GB Corsair RAM - Early 2011 13" MBP

Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts about people warning against using mixed vendors and mixed RAM sizes, but none of those people have said they tried it themselves. On the other hand, I have seen a number of posts from people who have tried using mixed RAM vendors and sizes and they say it works fine.

Can anyone tell me objectively which of these two options would be best for upgrading my Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13":

(A) 10 GB RAM - this single 8 GB module + one of the stock 2 GB modules

(B) 8 GB Corsair RAM - this is clocked at 1333 MHz and 1.5 volts

(C) 8 GB Crucial RAM - this is clocked at 1600 MHz and 1.35/1.5 volts (not sure what the / indicates)

Regarding options B and C, which would be better: Corsair RAM that is clocked to what the Mac is default set to (1333 MHz) but has higher voltage, or Crucial RAM that is overclocked (and from what I've read, it'll auto-downclock to 1333) but has possibly lower voltage. There's only a $2 difference between the two.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Mactracker your early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" machine uses this memory:

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

Buy and install the exact memory called for. Corsair brand is OK, so is Crucial and OWC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.