Black screen no chime

Reaction score
Ok so i have a iMac 8,1 with a sensor control problem and the TMoP error (fans on full power, sensor apps don't detect cpu or gnu sensor despite being connected, stay on for about 10 mins) . After looking around it seemed like the logic board. The 8,1 had a much better screen than the 7,1 i have (7,1 was yellowish) so thought id swap it.

Well I went ahead and swapped over the screens ( and while at it the dvd drive too as the 2008 was a bit better)

So first of all I put back together the 'bad' mac (8,1 with the fans spinning and suspected bad logic board).

I fired it up and still with the fans spinning she booted up fine straight into Yosemite albeit with a slightly yellowy screen so I was happy at this point...

This is where it went wrong...

So then I reassembled my 7,1 with the odd and display from my 8,1 that id swapped...

Now it doesn't boot or chime, just the fans spin at a slow speed I only have 3 leds of the 4 lit as well

I then read online this could be a psu fault... its not as I stole that from the other one to test...

i then swapped the graphics cards between the 8,1 and 7,1 8,1 boots just fine 7,1 just has the 3 leds on it still ... im really stuck I don't know whats left except the logic board but I don't understand how I could break it by disconnecting just the lcd temp sensor and the lvds cable ?

Im at a real loss as to what to do now from having two decent imacs less than a week ago I have none any help would be great?

Now I have two imacs by the looks of it both with bad logic boards any ideas what else I could try?

Thanks in advance

Oh yea and now I have put it all back to how it started this morning and still no dice

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.