time machine backup to newer OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
I have an old 24" iMac (white plastic) that is running Lion. I want to install my data onto a newer 27" iMac running Yosemite. Is this possible using Timmachine or is Carbon Copy Cloner Beter?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use Time Machine. The first time you turn on the new iMac, the automatic Migration Assistant will run and ask if you have data from another Mac to copy over. One word of caution though... do not create an account on the new iMac. Time Machine will copy your old account over to the new iMac.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Use Time Machine. The first time you turn on the new iMac, the automatic Migration Assistant will run and ask if you have data from another Mac to copy over. One word of caution though... do not create an account on the new iMac. Time Machine will copy your old account over to the new iMac.

That is a great tip chscag. What can you do if the OP has started or even finished the setup process before migrating their data? I'm guessing reinstall the OS but perhaps you have a better suggestion?

C

chas_m

Reinstall would be the less time-consuming of the possible options. But as the setup operation *actually pauses* to ask if you want to migrate data from a backup, or Time Machine, or your old Mac BEFORE it sets up the account, it's always a bit of a mystery to me why people don't do it then.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
True, perhaps it's just the excitement of having a new OX that leads to impatience. As I recall the install script in most steps suggests you can "set it up later" by whatever method is appropriate for the step you are skipping. However as you have pointed out there are distinct advantages in doing this as part of the install process thus saving a lot of backtracking later. I'm all for that.:D

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
Thanks for your reactions guys. If I understand it correctly It is possible to use a time-machine backup from an old OSX to install a user account onto a machine with Yosemite installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.