Memory Leak help

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro. Ever since I've had it, I've had memory issues. I eventually upgraded to 16GB of Ram. Even my 2009 Macbook Pro had memory issues. I understand that OSX Allocates memory different than Windows. But I'm constantly sitting at under a gig of Free memory!

With typical Apps

• FileZilla,
  • Chrome
  • Lync
  • Outlook
  • Sublime Text
  • Microsoft Remote Desktop

If I'm lucky then Photoshop. I constantly have to purge my memory.

I've attached my activity monitor data dump.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry0p1ld23nnoui8/activity_monitor_dump.xlsx?dl=0

7FuwslP.png

M

MacInWin

Do things run slowly? Do you get beachballs? Is the Swap Used number high? If not, then don't worry about memory usage. OS X does a nice job of managing memory, using it all efficiently. I saw CleanMyMac in your list. Get rid of it. Useless waste of time and likely to cause problems. Also saw an "Odin downloader.app" listed. Don't know what it does, but you don't need any downloader apps on OS X, either.

OP
F
Reaction score
Occasionally get beach balls. But not daily.

I went ahead and removed CleanMyMac.

Now why is it memory utilities like CleanMemory show memory always low? I'd think that'd be misleading if thats not actually how much memory you have left over.

M

MacInWin

The utility to look at is Activity Monitor, on the Memory tab. That shows the real state of your memory, as well as the "pressure" on your memory from your running processes. It shows your Physical memory, Memory Used, Virtual Memory and Swap Used. The Swap used is the best indicator of memory demand beyond what you have. It should stay low.

You don't need CleanMemory either. OS X automatically cleans and manages your memory. In fact, the reality is you WANT all your memory used, otherwise you have resources being underutilized. So let OS X do it's thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.