Safari generated password problem

Reaction score
Safari generates my passwords and in almost all cases this is fine. However in some cases, the store John Lewis for example, it is not. John Lewis recognises my email and I can browse and purchase. However when I come to checkout a form appears with my email already filled in and asking me to insert my password to continue. Safari will not enter this automatically and I am presently cutting and pasting in order to proceed. Does anyone know a way round this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Safari generates my passwords and in almost all cases this is fine. However in some cases, the store John Lewis for example, it is not. John Lewis recognises my email and I can browse and purchase. However when I come to checkout a form appears with my email already filled in and asking me to insert my password to continue. Safari will not enter this automatically and I am presently cutting and pasting in order to proceed. Does anyone know a way round this?

The problem likely is some flaw in how that website has coded the page and Safari isn't recognizing that the password field is a "password" field. You might have better luck using a 3rd party password manager like 1Password, but I can't say for sure. You can always try deleting the entry for that site in Keychain Access and let Safari rebuild it to see if that fixes it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to what member LIAB advised, there are some sites that block automatic insertion of passwords even from a password manager. My bank is one such site. However, his advice about using 1Password is well advised for your protection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.