Sorting photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 4.1 Mavericks 10.9.5
I have downloaded about 1000 pictures, almost all .jpeg, from my pc onto a memory stick, then downloaded them to 'Documents' in my MiniMac. The pictures are in alphabetical order on both pc and stick.
In the Mac they have arranged themselves (in my preferred icon view) so as to begin with all the 'D' s first, then the 'A's and other later on. 'Z's at the end.
No problem, just r click/arrange by name, but they don't, even after re-booting.
They appear in alphabetical order in 'list' view but then revert to this strange order when I go back to icon view.
I would appreciate a word of advice.
Thanks.

M

MacInWin

Each view has its own sort options. Have you selected name sort in the icon view?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In a word: yes.
They are in alph order when in 'list' but not when in columns (the columns can't be scrolled, but let's not go there!) and also wrong in 'cover flow' (which I know nothing about).
I would like to highlight all the incorrect pictures down to the 'a's and insert them at random lower down the file and let them sort themselves out, but dragging and dropping as perhaps in Windows doesn't work - they stay where they are.
Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I offer my humble apologies.
After sitting staring at these confused icons for a few minutes, I realised that the titles of the first ten or so pictures all begin with the names of ships, so start with an inverted comma for the ship's name.
All sorted now.
My first mistake this year!
Many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.