Network activity monitor question

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mac pro which I use offline almost exclusively. Wireless turned off, bluetooth turned off, no wired connections. However, when I go to the activity monitor and click on "network", I get spikes of data sent and received.

I've attached an image of what the spikes look like. They come up consistently spaced and appear to be identical (For the most part, sometimes there are deviations).

Also it should be noted, when I connect to the internet for a bit, than disconnect, the spikes eventually disappear almost completely after disconnecting, and I finally get a blank, no activity graph, with the exception of one spike very very occasionally, or even one spike total.

Does this happen to anyone else here, after you've disconnected from ALL internet sources? Is it just the system doing its thing? (Also, I don't have the automatic system updates, or the automatic time and date box checked, i've read that might be the cause).

Just want to make sure i'm truly not connected to any internet sources when I choose not to be.

Thanks!

rsz_20141207_050352.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't have to be "connected" to pick up stray WiFi which is likely coming from many sources. If you don't want that to occur, yank the airport card from your Mac Pro.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if its the card that's causing it, as I just checked with a roommate and his mac pro, an older version without a wireless card, is also getting network spikes when completely disconnected, much more than mine actually, and his spikes don't die down after connecting, than disconnecting from the internet, which i still find weird with my mac.

If you or anyone has experienced similar behavior with their mac, let me know :)

Also, I guess my main question is, is there a 100% definitive way to know that you're computer isn't connected to the internet, and nothing is or can be connected to your computer?

Is turning wireless and bluetooth off, and unplugging wired connection sufficient?

M

MacInWin

I believe green means the packets were inbound. You cannot control what other devices transmit. By turning off WiFI, you machine is not responding (which the graph shows), so you are not connected. About the only way to be 100% sure is to put the computer in a Faraday Cage or room. That way any external electromagnetic waves will be blocked.

Or you can just turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and get on with life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.