Time Machine backup to new iMac

Reaction score
I recently replaced my 2008 iMac with a late 2013 iMac. I used a Time Machine back up to get the new one up and running. Did I lose anything (features) by using backup from the old machine? I know DVD Player is on this now and it does not have a DVD drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nope. As a matter of fact, that's the proper way to do it. I've done that myself now three times going from an older Mac to a brand new one. :) The DVD player will still work with an external optical drive. I have a late 2013 27" iMac with two external optical drives that I use.

OP
me1303
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks

Can you recommend a good external drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any inexpensive USB external drive should work OK. I have a Samsung and LG drive, both were around $30.00. The real slim drives that are sold by OWC are nice but more expensive. The Apple slim external drive will only work with later model Macs that do not come equipped with an optical drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.