word on mac autosave issue

Reaction score
I fave word on my mac and continuously get autosave error messages that "...operation cannot be completed because too many files are open." The it tells me to find a "valid location" to autosave the files. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums

fave word on my mac and continuously get autosave error messages that "...operation cannot be completed because too many files are open." The it tells me to find a "valid location" to autosave the files. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

First... The autosave feature in Mac Word 2011 (and 2008) is broken and does not work. Do not rely on using it as you will lose your document. To get rid of that error, open Word preferences and go to "File Locations". Select your documents folder as the autosave location even though it doesn't work.

Next... and this is important: In preferences, go to "Save". Place a check in the box that says "Always create backup copy". That will ensure that in the event of an error, you will at least have a backup copy of the document before it was edited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks. Although I don't use Word for much, I made those adjustments anyway. Should I expect to see the backup copy in the same Finder window as the active file?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have my Documents folder selected as the folder of choice for the backup copy, so yes, it will be in the location if you choose your Documents folder as I did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.