Make my iMac faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black, iMac, Iphone 5, iPad2
I have an iMac with 8g of memory and a half full HD. Ive had the iMac about 5 years now and am extremely pleased with it. In fact the only time I get a problem its undoubtedly associated with a festering Windows problem (silverlight, Office for Mac etc!).
However, I do find that the system seems to be doing a lot of crunching when I log on and if I change users over. It sounds like there is a lot of file swapping going on. I can understand that if I am changing users but not when logging on. I suspect there is a lot of rubbish on the system after 5 years so I think there is a need for some sort of "clean up". Some Mac users say there is no need to do this as the system sorts itself out but I am not sure. Once logged on there does not seem to be any problem with speed unless I start one of the Office programs then there is a lot of crunching going on!
Anybody any suggestions please?:\

C

chas_m

Asked and answered in a different thread. Please don't double-post.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black, iMac, Iphone 5, iPad2
Sorry but I realised it was the wrong subject area and thought I had deleted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.