HELP!!!!! Windows Trojan virus found on my mac

Reaction score
Somehow the windows trojan f_000d41 showed up on my computer. I have no idea how it got there and don't know what to do. After scanning my computer with symantec it says that it came from google chrome? Is it safe to backup my files on my hard drive or will my hard drive get infected? And does anyone know how to get it off my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Symantec doesn't offer to remove it or at least tell you the file location?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Unless you're interacting with other Windows machines, that trojan isn't going to do much. So, you won't have to worry if that's the case.

That said, there's no point in keeping it around. So, what does Symantec offer you?

OP
K
Reaction score
Symantec offered to do a full scan and repair, but ended up saying it could not repair it. It did quarantine two other files that it said had been slightly infected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Delete the infected files. No big deal. The trojan was written for Windows. You are safe.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
M

MacInWin

NO windows virus can impact your Mac. It's not possible. I'll wager that the virus was in an email, or an attachment to an email or a download of a Windows product that won't run on your Mac anyway. No reason to do what pm-r found, as that applied to Windows machines only. As Lisa said, just delete the file or ignore it. BTW, you don't need Symantec, it won't find any viruses for Macs on your machine because none exist. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NO windows virus can impact your Mac. It's not possible. I'll wager that the virus was in an email, or an attachment to an email or a download of a Windows product that won't run on your Mac anyway. No reason to do what pm-r found, as that applied to Windows machines only. As Lisa said, just delete the file or ignore it. BTW, you don't need Symantec, it won't find any viruses for Macs on your machine because none exist. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Huh…??? I was suggesting the same thing as Lisa suggested - Delete the infected files!!!

I just also included a method of finding and deleting the offending file(s). No sense harbouring and even wasting any drive space - especially crap files.

M

MacInWin

Yes, but really the OP doesn't need Find any File, or any other utility. The bottom line is that the infected files CANNOT impact OS X, so there is no reason to delete them unless they are really easy to find. And your first link is all about windows, not OS X. So there is no reason to do that, or even go there.

Hence my post that there was no reason to do what you found. No harm, but it won't accomplish anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll let the OP decide on what they want to do.

And yes, my link referred to a windows site, the only reference I could find, and I do believe that quite a few Mac users here also run Windows on their Macs.

Their choice on what they want to do!!! And the suggested tool was provided - if wanted or needed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.