Shared doesn't show up in Finder

Reaction score
I just recently nuked my laptop hard drive & my mini hard drive & did a clean install of Yosemite on both of them. In both my mini & my laptop, I went to Finder Preferences. In General under "Show these items on the Desktop" everything is checked. In Sidebar, everything under "Shared" is checked. File sharing is not enabled on either of them. Yet "Shared" doesn't show up in the Finder Sidebar on either one of them.

WHY?

I know that Favorites & Devices can be hidden, but how are they shown if they are hidden? Maybe that's the problem with Shared. Maybe it's hidden. If that's the case, how does one unhide it?

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Your post is a little confusing, but if file sharing is not enabled on either machine, then turning on Shared in Finder won't display anything because nothing is shared. So with nothing to show, "Shared" won't show on the sidebar. That's how it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.