how to remove a local encrypted backup of iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
I have an iPhone 5, running iOS 8.1.1 which I have backed up to the local Mac running OS X 10.1.1 and iTunes 12.0.1.26. I generally set for iCloud backup; however, I have an encrypted backup, password protected. YEP, I forgot the password.

Now I want to create another local backup and I can't get past the step of entering the "old" unknown password.

Any suggestions?

note I don't see IOS category when I choose Categories drop down on "Start a Discussion"

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
I deleted the old backup with no issue; thanks for showing me that. However, when I try to uncheck the "encrypted" box, I still get enter the password, which I don't know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess you have your reasons for encrypting a backup... The only suggestion I have is to do a reset in iTunes of your iPhone 5. Hopefully that will get rid of the requirement for entering a password. And, invest a few bucks in a good password manager or a handy notebook. ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
actually I use a password manager; however, what I have in there doesn't seem to be what it wanted. I'll try the reset

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
actually I just got luck and was able to "guess" the password. It looks like I had left off a special character when I created the password. Now able to set as a non encrypted backup, locally.

I did review the apple support information community which indicated that recovering this particular password is difficult. There were a number of steps listed, most of which I was unwilling to try. The iCloud backup appears the easy way, if you have the other passwords available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.