Mouse on Mac acting erratic not water damage or hardware

Reaction score
Hello,
My mouse on my MAC is acting erratic. Took it to the Apple store. Did diagnostic testing. It isn't water damage, they cleaned it and said my trackpad was fine. Still having issues. Read something about power source being in issue still acts erratic when not plugged in. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello,
My mouse on my MAC is acting erratic. Took it to the Apple store. Did diagnostic testing. It isn't water damage, they cleaned it and said my trackpad was fine. Still having issues. Read something about power source being in issue still acts erratic when not plugged in. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Please provide further information: 1) What Mac do you own; 2) What OS X is installed; 3) What batteries are you using and have you tried different ones; and 4) Why do you bring up the issue of 'water damage' - my assumption is that you or someone spilled liquid on the mouse. Before continuing, please verify that this is a BT Magic Mouse from Apple?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello! Thank you so much for responding! I have a 13 inch Macbook pro 2011, 10.7.5, stock battery that came with computer, no wireless mouse, trackpad only. We turned everything off last night, wifi, settings etc..biggest notice was when we turned wifi off it worked better. Will work better when re-started or shut down. I work from home and use an internal program. I am the only one in my company having issues though. I mentioned water damage because there was droplets spilled on the trackpad a few weeks ago. I unplugged,shut down and turned MAC upside down and then used blow dryer. Brought it to Apple they said the water damage sensor was still in tact and not off. Nothing showed on the diagnostic report. In fact, tech had difficulties reproducing erratic behavior. I am thinking of just replacing trackpad altogether. Thanks again for your response!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for the additional information - I should have read the title of your thread better - saw the 'Mouse' and assume you had an iMac w/ the Magic Mouse; on re-read, the post is listed under 'Notebooks', thus, my confusion - SO, forget about the mouse questions - LOL! I guess you'll have to decide w/ the Apple geniuses whether a replacement trackpad would be the way to good - good luck! Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 13 inch Macbook pro 2011, 10.7.5, stock battery that came with computer, no wireless mouse, trackpad only.

If you have a MacBook Pro (with no external input device)…you should not be using the term "Mouse". By using the term "mouse"…you only create a lot of confusion.

"Mice/mouse" has been (and have always been since the first Macintosh computer in 1984…and earlier on some other computers)…the term for an external input device on desktop computers (and laptops if someone is using one).

Your MacBook Pro's input device is the built-in trackpad.

As far as the problem…if the Apple store examined & cleaned it…and they said that it's ok…how do they explain the ongoing problem?? If the trackpad is still having problems…two possible things:

1. Sometimes trackpad problems can be the result of the internal battery starting to swell.
2. Maybe the trackpad needs to be replaced.

- Nick

p.s. Also…the proper & agreed upon abbreviation for a Macintosh computer is "Mac"…not "MAC".:)

OP
J
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. So if it is not called a "mouse" on a Mac not MAC then what do I call it? Just trackpad or arrow? Again, my tech skills come from your standard laptops and desktops. I am ignorant in Mac terminology but enjoy learning.

Apple said the problem was fixed. They could not replicate the issue and said it might be the search engine (google chrome) that I was using that was aggravating the problem and I might need to update. This has been done and I have even switched to safari. Issue still there.

So you are saying I might need a new battery or trackpad? That is easily rectified. Trackpad would need to be installed by Apple or tech again but I could replace battery myself correct?

Thanks for responding!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ah gotcha. So if it is not called a "mouse" on a Mac not MAC then what do I call it? Just trackpad or arrow?

I mentioned this above in my earlier post…the built-in input device on a MacBook Pro is called the "trackpad".

Again, my tech skills come from your standard laptops and desktops. I am ignorant in Mac terminology but enjoy learning.

Guess what??…the built-in input device on a "standard laptop" is also called a "trackpad".;) This is not special Apple or Mac terminology. This is standard computer industry terminology.:)

So you are saying I might need a new battery or trackpad?

The key word is "might". These were just theories. You need to investigate further.

Trackpad would need to be installed by Apple or tech again but I could replace battery myself correct?

You never said what exact model MacBook Pro you have. MacBook Pro's that are about 5 years old & older have an easily replaceable battery. If you have a newer MacBook Pro (less than 4-5 years old)…then the battery is technically not user replaceable (according to Apple).

The battery on newer MacBook Pro's actually is replaceable (regardless of what Apple says)…but I'm going to guess that since you say you are not very "tech-savvy" that this would not be something you would be comfortable with. But if you were…then you would be able to replace the trackpad as well.:)

Again…these two ideas were just theories. You need to investigate further.

- Nick

M

MacInWin

More terminology lessons. The device on your MBP is a trackpad. The device you don't have that sits beside the MBP and which you move around on your desk is a mouse. The little thingy on the screen that moves when you use either the trackpad or mouse is a pointer. Lots of folks use the terms somewhat loosely, which does cause confusion.

Now, as for the trackpad, can you describe in more detail "erratic behavior" in terms of what is happening? And what "internal program" do you use and is the mouse erratic in that program as well? Finally, how do you connect to the internet?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.