Contacts - font size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I am running Yosemite and keep all my contacts addresses in the Contacts app.

When I print out addresses on address labels I find that, although there is just about enough room on the label, the bottom line of each address is missing as I get one line for the name and four lines for the address.

If I could reduce the size of the font slightly, or alter the label settings for the margins slightly, I could get the whole address on.

I am using Avery J8163 labels and I know that it would be easy to buy slightly bigger labels but these were on a special offer and I have got loads!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only way might be to export your contact list to a word processor program or even to TextEdit and reduce or change the font from there. You can print to Avery labels from most word processor programs as well as your contacts app.

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Thanks for your response.

I have tried exporting to alternative programs but it all gets a bit fiddly, a bit like printing addresses labels from MS Outlook via Excel and/or Word.

The big attraction of Contacts is that it is extremely straightforward printing to labels, if only there was a way to reduce the size of the Contacts font slightly. My printer driver does allow for a font change BUT, unfortunately, it only changes the details that have been passed to the driver which doesn't include the last line!

Unless alternatives solutions are forthcoming I might just have to modify the way I input addresses to Contacts and merge two lines of the address into one line.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand and agree that contacts is an easy way to print labels. However, like you, I need my labels to be of a certain font size and format. Unfortunately, the contacts app is very basic. I use Mac Word 2011 and a special template to do my labels.

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I might bite the bullet and get some J8173 labels.

Size isn't everything but the extra 20mm will work wonders for me!!!!

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought some bigger labels - big mistake!!

The problem is that wherever you want to print your contacts it only prints five lines of the name and address.

So, on the default contact card, you have provision for a Name then, for the UK, you have Street, City, County, Post Code and Country and when you print that contact it always misses off the Country or whatever you decide the fifth line will be.

I am using a Canon Pixma MG8250 printer.

Reaction score
I am running Yosemite and keep all my contacts addresses in the Contacts app.

When I print out addresses on address labels I find that, although there is just about enough room on the label, the bottom line of each address is missing as I get one line for the name and four lines for the address.

If I could reduce the size of the font slightly, or alter the label settings for the margins slightly, I could get the whole address on.

I am using Avery J8163 labels and I know that it would be easy to buy slightly bigger labels but these were on a special offer and I have got loads!!!

Contacts allows you to control the font, size, color, layout and even add graphics.

Just look in the Print Dialogue under Layout, Label and the other options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Contacts allows you to control the font, size, color, layout and even add graphics.

Just look in the Print Dialogue under Layout, Label and the other options.

Nice tip. Thanks

+Rep

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I alter the size of the font the print is obviously reduced in size BUT it still only prints five lines and they are smaller!

I tried setting it to envelope rather than label BUT it still only prints five lines.

It appears that Contacts is only sending my printer five lines regardless of how many it actually has.

Edited over three hours later!
I cannot believe how stupid i have been. I had done everything correctly EXCEPT put a tick in the dialogue box for the printer to Print:Country. This now allows me to print the final line of the address!

Thanks for all your advice and guidance.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.