hard drives improperly ejected

Reaction score
I have an iMac (early 2009). It recently started to eject external drives attached. I have replaced my hum without help. I have plugged directly into the USB2 ports, but it still ejects. Ir I unplug the drives and replug, it starts again.
I have both Seagate and Western Digital
Any ideas?
mjshack

C

chas_m

Do you know how to properly eject mounted drives before powering down/sleeping? If not, you are destroying your drives' directories and they will eventually lose all the data on them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, read his OP more carefully. The drives are ejecting by themselves. He is doing nothing to eject them! He even directly connected them to the USB ports on iMac and they still eject by themselves.

OP
M
Reaction score
dtravis7 - you are correct. My only solution is to eject the drives whenever i don't need them One is Super Duper backup that I schedule manually and the other is a manual backup that I do of important data and photos (I am an amateur photographer and do a lot of photo corrections). The 3rd drive is Time Machine which I would like to leave on.
mjshack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Do you get any dialog message saying they were ejected incorrectly?

Regardless, I'd suspect a bad cable or connection of a goofy power adapter if they are externally powered. Or maybe an SMC reset would help???

Sure lot's of discussions on the problem, including a 63 page one that seems to be for 10.6.8 users that finally ends at:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/27091624?tstart=0#27091624

I didn't notice what OS X version is being used, but lots of hits with a search:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=NT-CVJPmN-js8we9zIK4Bw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Personally when I am finished backing up with SuperDuper, always eject and pack away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.