Upgrading to Yosemite with Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Late 2013 Macbook Pro with OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks and Bootcamp Windows 8.1
I have heard several issues with Upgrading to Yosemite and it creating havoc with Bootcamp and making Windows unbootable.

I'm wondering if this issue has been fixed or if anyone has any tips on how to properly upgrade to Yosemite that still has bootcamp working. I need my bootcamp set up the way it is and I don't want to have to delete it, upgrade to Yosemite, then reinstall Windows. Too much hassel.

I also heard that all the bootcamp and Yosemite issues are for those who are upgrading from older machines, mine is pretty recent.

I am still pretty new to Mac in general, bought my Macbook Pro in May 2014, first Mac ever, so I'm still unsure of all the technical things (mostly because I don't need to know all that anymore since Mac makes it simpler, generally)

Any advice or anything you know that might be able to help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In theory, installing Yosemite over Mavericks should not disturb your Windows 8.1 installation via Boot Camp. There have been no "fixes" because again in theory, nothing needed to be fixed. Are you catching on yet?

Putting aside "theories", the best way to install Yosemite with an existing Boot Camp partition is to have a backup of that partition that can be restored in the event something goes wrong during the update process. Backing up Mavericks is easy; use Time Machine. But Time Machine does not back up a Windows partition. For that you will need "WinClone". Even if you use WinClone to back up your Windows partition, something could still go wrong.

WinClone web site and sales.

OP
O
Reaction score
In theory, installing Yosemite over Mavericks should not disturb your Windows 8.1 installation via Boot Camp. There have been no "fixes" because again in theory, nothing needed to be fixed. Are you catching on yet?

Putting aside "theories", the best way to install Yosemite with an existing Boot Camp partition is to have a backup of that partition that can be restored in the event something goes wrong during the update process. Backing up Mavericks is easy; use Time Machine. But Time Machine does not back up a Windows partition. For that you will need "WinClone". Even if you use WinClone to back up your Windows partition, something could still go wrong.

WinClone web site and sales.
Thank you for replying.
Yes I understand. The weird thing about updating to Yosemite is, the place where I work has a series of brand new iMacs, which were all loaded up with Mavericks to start off with and later updated to Yosemite. They were all exactly the same. Yet some had sever issues with Mailing systems and some worked flawless. I just find that interesting.

Regardless, I do own an external hard-drive that I make frequent back-ups to using Time Machine. If I were to back up the Windows side with WinClone, could it be backed up to the same external or would that create issues?

And if something were to go wrong would reverting back to what it was before repair anything that may have happened? And how can that be done(reverting back)
Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I strongly recommend using two external hard drives rather than one if you're serious about going the update route. I have no doubt that you could restore Mavericks in the event of some kind of update glitch to Yosemite. Time Machine works. However, restoring a Boot Camp partition is another matter, even with using WinClone. The actual partition may restore or might not even be disturbed, but you may find that it will not boot.

You might want to check around in the WinClone support forum to see if you can pick up a few hints there. Their forum and support link is the same as above in my previous reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.