Issue Launching Molden through Terminal using XQuartz

Reaction score
I have been launching Molden, a chemical 3D modeling program from Terminal for the past few years, but have not needed the program for the past few months. In that time, I upgraded my laptop to Yosemite 10.10.1 and now upon attempting to launch Molden I get this output:

--

Molden: cannot connect to X server /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.qQISbPJUuQ/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

--

Troubleshooting these things is way outside of my skill set, so all I've tried so far is uninstalling and reinstalling xquartz 2.7.7 and rebooting.

I've also been reading other forums and kind of stab-in-the-dark trying other things, not really sure what I was doing. I do think it's an XQuartz issue though rather than molden. The most common outputs requested have been startx and xinit so I will paste those outputs below in case they are of use to solving my problem.

When I run startx I see this:

--

Gracie$ startx
font_cache: Scanning user font directories to generate X11 font caches
font_cache: Updating FC cache
font_cache: Done
xauth: file /Users/Gracie/.serverauth.1574 does not exist

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
../..
/opt/X11/bin/xinit: giving up
/opt/X11/bin/xinit: unable to connect to X server: Operation timed out

waiting for X server to shut down
/opt/X11/bin/xinit: server error

--

Running xinit does launch X11 for me though I do also see this output:

--

xinit: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1

--

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Reaction score
What do you get when you type "echo $PATH" in Terminal? (without the quotes)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How are you trying to execute Molden? It seems as if Quartz has shifted locations from /usr to /opt with Yosemite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.