My iMac restarts constantly!!!!

Reaction score
Months ago my iMac started restarting constantly every 5 minutes I used it. I tried repairing the disk and I finally ended up buying and installing a new disk, but it keeps restarting. Every time it restarts the same message appears saying "Your mac has restarted because of a problem". Does anybody know what I could do to solve this problem? :[:[:[

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's called a "Kernel Panic". If you installed a new hard drive...AND...installed a fresh copy of the OS (didn't copy things from the old hard drive)...then it's probably a hardware issue.

The most common hardware kernel panic issue usually has to do with ram...especially if new ram was installed. Was any new/different ram installed prior to having this problem?

It is also possible that is could be the existing ram (if no new ram was installed).

Last (but not least)...if it's not the ram...then it is probably something on the logic board. If it is something on the logic board...this would not be a good thing.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I'll say it first I guess, the guru's here will need way more info, OS version, ram, what you're doing at the time, etc, however, I'm curious if you did an upgrade recently to Yosemite, because I had a similar problem. I actually ended up with a new computer because Apple couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Edit: Jeez Nick, are you just waiting to pounce on these threads? ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sounds like kernel panics. Are you near an Apple Store? If so, make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

OP
A
Reaction score
That's called a "Kernel Panic". If you installed a new hard drive...AND...installed a fresh copy of the OS (didn't copy things from the old hard drive)...then it's probably a hardware issue.

The most common hardware kernel panic issue usually has to do with ram...especially if new ram was installed. Was any new/different ram installed prior to having this problem?

It is also possible that is could be the existing ram (if no new ram was installed).

Last (but not least)...if it's not the ram...then it is probably something on the logic board. If it is something on the logic board...this would not be a good thing.

- Nick

I changed the ram but years ago (the iMac is from 2007) and the problems have started this year. I'll try changing the ram again to see what happens and if it doesn't work i'll send it to the app store

Thankss

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Hey, that's what we pay him the big bucks to do. ;D

OP
A
Reaction score
I'll say it first I guess, the guru's here will need way more info, OS version, ram, what you're doing at the time, etc, however, I'm curious if you did an upgrade recently to Yosemite, because I had a similar problem. I actually ended up with a new computer because Apple couldn't figure out what the problem was.

I have not used the iMac for two months now and therefore it did not have OS X yosemite but I've installed it together with the new hard drive, and still it does the same. It has 8gb ram and the computer restarts automatically every 5 minutes of usage and it doesn't matter which app you're using it just restarts.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha…BIG BUCKS!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I changed the ram but years ago (the iMac is from 2007) and the problems have started this year. I'll try changing the ram again to see what happens and if it doesn't work i'll send it to the app store.

Your iMac probably has two ram slots (both occupied). Remove one stick of ram…then test. If problem remains…then remove the installed stick of ram…and insert the other one. If still problems…then probably something on the logic board.

I'm guessing you mean the "Apple Store":)…the "App Store" won't do you much good. The "App Store" is a virtual place.;)

I would sort of say…forget about the Apple Store for two reasons:

1. With a 2007 iMac…the Apple Store will consider this "vintage"…and probably not work on it.
2. If they did look at it…it will most likely be the logic board. And a replacement logic board will cost more than the current total value of the computer. This is why I mentioned above that a bad logic board is "not a good thing". A bad logic board on a 2007 iMac makes it a "door-stop" or parts computer.

Hopefully it's the ram.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
:

1. With a 2007 iMac…the Apple Store will consider this "vintage"…and probably not work on it.
2. If they did look at it…it will most likely be the logic board. And a replacement logic board will cost more than the current total value of the computer. This is why I mentioned above that a bad logic board is "not a good thing". A bad logic board on a 2007 iMac makes it a "door-stop" or parts computer.

Hopefully it's the ram.:)

- Nick

They fixed my 2007 Mini about this time last year. It was a software issue, no new parts required.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They fixed my 2007 Mini about this time last year. It was a software issue, no new parts required.

Good to hear.:) I think that the "vintage label" is not exactly etched in stone at the all Apple Stores (or maybe it is..or maybe the # of years old to make it vintage differs). I just know that we have members posting that when they go to the Apple Store to get something looked at…in some cases (if the computer is on the older side)…they get the "vintage" excuse.

My guess is somewhere around the 5-7 year area is when Apple declares a computer "vintage". So with a 2007 Mac-Mini…maybe it was on the edge of being labeled "vintage". Or maybe since the issue was luckily only software related…maybe that helped.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Like they said, could be the RAM. Try going back to the stock configuration. I went through episodes of increasing KPs as the (aftermarket) RAM worsened - after 2 years it became almost unusable. I just about bricked the computer, but they exchanged the RAM for a good set and now it's finally working like it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.