How do you get rid the system files when you copy files from mac to ntfs ?

Reaction score
I have been using my mac to copy files to a ntfs based thumbdrive and all the time I end up with a bunch of files starting with "._" and "." in the ntfs and I am guessing these are system files that are copied over.

My question is without using some paid app like blueharvest is there a setting somewhere I can tweak to disable this behavior ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have been using my mac to copy files to a ntfs based thumbdrive and all the time I end up with a bunch of files starting with "._" and "." in the ntfs and I am guessing these are system files that are copied over.

My question is without using some paid app like blueharvest is there a setting somewhere I can tweak to disable this behavior ?

There is no built-in way to disable this behavior. Those same files exist on your Mac's drive and serve a purpose, but OS X knows how to hide them. Windows doesn't use them and, obviously, doesn't know to hide them. You can try using DS_Store Cleaner, which is free, but it hasn't been updated in a few years. It's not automated like BlueHarvest is.

Here's another free alternative. You can look for more using MacUpdate's list of "similar software" on these pages.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52076/him

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Tinkertool will do it...

Sorry chief, but that's for a network connection. It won't affect USB drives. At least, I wouldn't expect it to unless they just named that option incorrectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.