Simple Gateway Service / Remote Desktop and JAVA issues

Reaction score
On a mid-2010 13" MBP, I recently upgraded the HDD to an SSD, after backing-up to an external drive using Time Machine. I reinstalled the original OS (10.6.3 Snow Leopard) using the Mac OS Install DVD, and since I'd downloaded the InstallESD.dmg (10.10.1 Yosemite) prior to the backup, I was able to access it and update the OS quickly.

After the initial restart (once everything had been downloaded and updated), I began to get a dialogue box with the following message: "To open 'SimpleGatewayService' you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime." My two options were "More Info..." and "OK."

Pressing "More Info..." took me to the Apple support page (support.apple.com/kb/DL1572), which has a dowloadable file, "Java for OS X 2014-001." Each time I try to access this downloaded file, I receive this: "'JavaForOSX2014-001.dmg' is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash."

Pressing "OK" did nothing other than make the dialogue box disappear for 3 seconds before the SimpleGatewayService dialogue box reappears.

At this point, I thought that maybe I should download the most recent version, "jre-8u-macosx-x64.dmg," with the hopes for resolution, but the same message about moving it to the trash appeared.

So, I did a little more research, and found how to uninstall the Apple Remote Desktop (support.apple.com/kb/HT201766). Unfortunately, I've been having trouble executing the instructions properly, beginning with deleting the ARD database through Terminal.

I'm completely stuck, and the fact that I'm a complete newbie to MacBooks (any Apple product other than iPhones, really) isn't helping. These dialogue boxes keep reappearing every 3 seconds, so I'm not able to get anything accomplished...

THANKS!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.