Firmware Password

Reaction score
Hi

Recently, I blessed my USB that had the Ubuntu install stuff on there, and I was attempting to make a USB so i could just plug in and restart and there I was on the Ubuntu OS. But later I found out that this does not work because my macbook pro is too old(2009). So now I'm stuck with the ? folder at boot up or I can boot up with holding the option key and the firmware password screen will pop up instead of displaying the startup manager with the bootable devices. So, will hard resetting the PRAM work to get rid of the firmware password on mid 2009 macbook pro? Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A PRAM reset doesn't disable the firmware password. Did you set one to begin with? It shouldn't get enabled randomly? Assuming you created a bootable USB that has Linux on it and you used the Option key to choose which device (the USB or internal HD) to boot from and you made no other changes, not sure why you'd be unable to boot into OS X again..

You might want to give a more detailed account of the steps you took..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.