Target Display Mode Help

Reaction score
First , hello I am new to the boards so thanks for entertaining my question and have done some searching but I can't seem to find my solution hence the thread

ok so the backstory .. have an old mid 2009 imac 27" and its dead (gets stuck loading the OS grey screen spinning wheel) so I want to use it as an external screen for apple tv ...

I have an hdmi to mini display port cord that I have plugged into the dead mac

I am booting into target display mode using "T" ( as I am no longer able to load the OS and use command F2)

however when I boot it goes to the firewire port ( which has no hdmi to firewire cord) all I get is the firewire symbol floating around the screen

I need to get it to boot in target display mode but for the mini display port ...

is this possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
According to Apple's article your mid 2009 iMac just misses the requirements and they say an iMac (27-inch Late 2009) model is required. Mid 2009 and late 2009 27" iMacs are different beasts.

Unless I missed something, your's isn't compatible and won't work. ;)

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

Edit:
PS: why not do a web search on 2009 imac 27" stuck loading the OS grey screen spinning wheel or imac 27" stuck on grey screen spinning wheel as an example and get that iMac running properly again??

It may only need a clean or new and uncorrupt OS X install.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@c7015 Have you tried booting from a DVD/another drive and verifying the current drive using Disk Utility. What OS were you running? There may be other boot options such as booting from the recovery partition.

OP
C
Reaction score
can't boot to verbose
have not tried to do dvd / usb boot yet that is the next step , do not still have the OS CD
safe more does its thing but no boot

PM-r , I have seen that however I was not sure it completely ruled out my scenario , I guess it does if its just saying mini display to mini display ...

I'm just wondering the firewire input is there no workaround ...

could I use it as a second monitor on my late 2013 27" mac ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you boot into single user mode? Turn the computer on then immediately press command+s simultaneously. This normally produces a screen or two of text. When the text stops type the following and press enter:

fsck -fy

This will cause the Mac to attempt to repair the drive. When done if it says no errors are found try to reboot normally. If errors are found run the command again.

Let us know the results.

OP
C
Reaction score
Can you boot into single user mode? Turn the computer on then immediately press command+s simultaneously. This normally produces a screen or two of text. When the text stops type the following and press enter:

fsck -fy

This will cause the Mac to attempt to repair the drive. When done if it says no errors are found try to reboot normally. If errors are found run the command again.

Let us know the results.

get what looks to be an I/O error

hfs mounted mac hd on decice root _ device
disk0s2 I/O error

then a bunch of cash details

I can post a photo if helpful

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

That machine is still a good useful computer. It sounds like the hard drive died or is defective which means a hard drive swap should get it running again. There are good instructions for removing the front panel and changing out the drive at www.ifixit.com. You can even replace that hard drive with a SSD, add some more memory to the iMac and really give that machine a boost. Of course it's up to you, but I certainly would not write it off and use it as an extra display.

OP
C
Reaction score
was under the impression the hdd swap was pretty annoying , I got my new comp anyway for some new features like air play ...

when I weighed it out it was thinking

so for new hdd cost
suction cups or any special tools to remove screen ( and potentially ruin)
new copy of OS

I could get an old comp that I would mostly play movies on ... so I was hoping to skip all that cost and use it as an apple tv screen for the bedroom ( not working out that well due to only booting up with firewire on target display mode )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
c7015, you need a iMac made in mid-2011 or later, to use it as an external monitor.

As for suction cups to get into that iMac, you can use the large ones you can pickup at your local DollarDen, or any of the similar suction devices they usually carry, like the suction cup wall coat hooks. Then a set of tools and the fixit guide that was already mentioned.

And wear gloves or use lint free cloths to keep finger prints off the glass when handling it and keep it clean!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.