Can't decide

W

Whawazat

I'm torn between getting either the 1.66ghz mini or the 20" iMac. Help!

Basically I'm stuck in pc **** for audio because I've allready purchased Absynth 3, Cubase 3 SL, and an E-Mu 1820m. So what I need is a solid desktop computer for watching videos, listening to music, surfing the web, email, writing papers for school, etc..

The mini + a Dell 2005fpw is really tempting. I estimate the cost for that setup would be somewhere around $1500 after I upgrade the ram, and depending on the student discount.

The imac would be about $1700 with discount and is a little faster, and has more storage space, but is it worth paying $200 more for the extra speed? Also just how much viewable area is available on the monitor. Is it a real 20" monitor, or is the whole unit 20" with a 17" display.

I'm open to suggestions, if cubase and native instruments only charge an upgrade fee for universal versions of their programs and e-mu puts out a mac version of the 1820 I'm really tempted to go for the powermac.

The only thing is my current pc is a real workhorse, I can play all the new games, all the audio stuff is no problem, and I've gone out of my way to get a very silent computer. At some point it will need to make the jump to a 64bit, pci express, sata setup though, but the only reason I see myself doing that is if any decent games come out that start really taxing my system (which is rare since I play maybe 1-2 a year anyway). Also vista looks to be a poorly designed DRM crapfest, and I spend enough time at work fixing computers to really have patience for linux, not to mention it's notorious support for multimedia and drivers.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
this is the same decision i just went through and i ended up getting the mini since i already had the monitor (2005fpw) and keyboard+mouse. got it yesterday and so far i have enjoyed the few hours i've spent on it. the native apps absolutely fly (at least compared to my old Powermac G4 1GHz) but the non native ones definitely run a bit slower. you can get the 2005FPW pretty cheap new on ebay or with some coupons from dell direct.

from what you listed as doing, the mini would be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
scooter said:
this is the same decision i just went through and i ended up getting the mini since i already had the monitor (2005fpw) and keyboard+mouse. got it yesterday and so far i have enjoyed the few hours i've spent on it. the native apps absolutely fly (at least compared to my old Powermac G4 1GHz) but the non native ones definitely run a bit slower. you can get the 2005FPW pretty cheap new on ebay or with some coupons from dell direct.

from what you listed as doing, the mini would be fine.

I was actually just looking at monitors. The Apple 20" LCD is $800 and the Dell 20" LCD is $400. Half price! That's incredible! Apple's student discount knocks $100 off the price, but you're still paying $300 for a silver bezel. Ah, the price we pay for design :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Whawazat said:
I'm torn between getting either the 1.66ghz mini or the 20" iMac. Help!

Basically I'm stuck in pc **** for audio because I've allready purchased Absynth 3, Cubase 3 SL, and an E-Mu 1820m. So what I need is a solid desktop computer for watching videos, listening to music, surfing the web, email, writing papers for school, etc..

The mini + a Dell 2005fpw is really tempting. I estimate the cost for that setup would be somewhere around $1500 after I upgrade the ram, and depending on the student discount.

The imac would be about $1700 with discount and is a little faster, and has more storage space, but is it worth paying $200 more for the extra speed? Also just how much viewable area is available on the monitor. Is it a real 20" monitor, or is the whole unit 20" with a 17" display.

I'm open to suggestions, if cubase and native instruments only charge an upgrade fee for universal versions of their programs and e-mu puts out a mac version of the 1820 I'm really tempted to go for the powermac.

The only thing is my current pc is a real workhorse, I can play all the new games, all the audio stuff is no problem, and I've gone out of my way to get a very silent computer. At some point it will need to make the jump to a 64bit, pci express, sata setup though, but the only reason I see myself doing that is if any decent games come out that start really taxing my system (which is rare since I play maybe 1-2 a year anyway). Also vista looks to be a poorly designed DRM crapfest, and I spend enough time at work fixing computers to really have patience for linux, not to mention it's notorious support for multimedia and drivers.

Thanks!

If you don't require Intel, you can get some killer deals on previous generation models. For example, Mac Mall is selling the 20" iMac G5 with a 2.1ghz G5 processor, 1gb ram, Bluetooth & Airport, a 250gb SATA hard drive, a 128mb x600 xt video card, etc. for just $1,394 after rebate here: (plus free tablet, printer, etc.)

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/imacg5/

That's a pretty killer deal and is still a top-of-the-line machine. $1400 for an all-in-one solution like this is definately something to consider. I believe that the 20" is the actual screen size, although it looks about the same size compared to my 19" Dell non-widescreen LCD. It's a very, very good monitor. My wife has a 20" iMac Core Duo and the screen is fabulous, so clear that it's almost like paper.

OP
W

Whawazat

kaidomac said:
If you don't require Intel, you can get some killer deals on previous generation models. For example, Mac Mall is selling the 20" iMac G5 with a 2.1ghz G5 processor, 1gb ram, Bluetooth & Airport, a 250gb SATA hard drive, a 128mb x600 xt video card, etc. for just $1,394 after rebate here: (plus free tablet, printer, etc.)

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/imacg5/

That's a pretty killer deal and is still a top-of-the-line machine. $1400 for an all-in-one solution like this is definately something to consider. I believe that the 20" is the actual screen size, although it looks about the same size compared to my 19" Dell non-widescreen LCD. It's a very, very good monitor. My wife has a 20" iMac Core Duo and the screen is fabulous, so clear that it's almost like paper.

This looks promising, but I'm scared that apps won't be written as universal in the next 2-3 years, and I really want to get my moneys worth from my mac.

So does anyone have a definitive answer on the imac screens viewable area? I'm leaning towards that now, as the mini with 2 gigs of ram is about 1k, plus the 2005fpw would be about the same. At least with the iMac I could buy the ram for cheaper somewhere else and install it myself right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Whawazat said:
This looks promising, but I'm scared that apps won't be written as universal in the next 2-3 years, and I really want to get my moneys worth from my mac.

So does anyone have a definitive answer on the imac screens viewable area? I'm leaning towards that now, as the mini with 2 gigs of ram is about 1k, plus the 2005fpw would be about the same. At least with the iMac I could buy the ram for cheaper somewhere else and install it myself right?

You can do that with both the Mini and the iMac. OWC sells a 2gb kit for the Mini for $230, which is $70 cheaper than Apple sells it for. Check out the ram section of my Intel Mini upgrade guide here.

One other thing to think about is hardware failure. If anything goes out on the iMac, you're hosed until you can get it fixed. With the Mini, if your monitor dies, just get a new one. The hard drive also seems to be less accessible in the iMac than the Mini. That's the danger of having an all-in-one design. But hey, who am I to talk, I just bought my wife an iMac Core Duo lol.

OP
B

bfx

A lot would depend on your useage and future plans.

Initially I wanted to get a Mini mainly for web surfing. Then I started looking into Mac apps - and started considering an iMac.

As time passed that changed to a G5 PowerMac for more expandability and better performance.

So now it looks like I'll end up with at least two Macs - a Mini for surfing and a PowerMac for apps.

Just something you might consider if your future plans are similar.

bfx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I would recommend the Intel iMac compared to mini, overall its a great computer.

However if you have a reusable monitor/keyboard/mouse and want to save some money...then a mini might be for you.

OP
L

lil

On the sentiment of the Dell vs. Apple displays -- Dell gets my vote in this department hands down. Fine, Apple's displays do look that bit nicer; BUT and this is a big but--Apple is ridiculously over-charging. I can vouch for Dell's 2001FP, 2005FPW and 2405FPW displays being amongst the best TFTs I have ever used.

Don't get me wrong--the Apple displays are on par quality wise; but I paid £245 for a 20" 1600x1200 2001FP with an all silver bezel (the midnight grey one which also looks good) and will hopefully someday get a second they are that good, for the same money as one brand new 20" Apple Cinema Display with £50 change.

Food for thought, as the new iMacs can run a second display over DVI without mirroring allowing you to make the most of a second screen.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
lil said:
On the sentiment of the Dell vs. Apple displays -- Dell gets my vote in this department hands down. Fine, Apple's displays do look that bit nicer; BUT and this is a big but--Apple is ridiculously over-charging. I can vouch for Dell's 2001FP, 2005FPW and 2405FPW displays being amongst the best TFTs I have ever used.

Don't get me wrong--the Apple displays are on par quality wise; but I paid £245 for a 20" 1600x1200 2001FP with an all silver bezel (the midnight grey one which also looks good) and will hopefully someday get a second they are that good, for the same money as one brand new 20" Apple Cinema Display with £50 change.

Food for thought, as the new iMacs can run a second display over DVI without mirroring allowing you to make the most of a second screen.

Vicky

The 2005FPW and the Apple 20" both use the same LG screen. IOW, they are pretty much the same other than the appearance. I'm sure Dell sells a lot more of them than Apple does, but still that's a **** of a mark up on Apple's part.

OP
L

lil

I did wonder if they were both LG Philips panels. The Dell may be plastic and not as bullet proof but it is a solid piece of kit with composite/svideo input, USB 2 hub, speaker attachement support, DVI and VGA connection, picture in picture support and screen rotation.

The only reason to go for the Apple display is the aesthetics and a truck load of cash.

If functionality and features are the consideration, Dell. (and this will be the only time I say those two things in the same sentence!) I hope to get a second 2001FP - if I can, that will be absolutely blinding, an effective 3200x1200 or 2400x1600 (w/ rotation) display setup.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
For your situation I'd get the 20 inch G5 iMac for $1400. It'll be faster than the mini, and cheaper than the intel iMac. Also, you wont have to wait for Universal Applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.