Mac Mini 2014 - "SNOW" - grafical output troubles

Reaction score
Hi folks,
May I ask for support due to my problem with Mac Mini 2014 connection to external monitor BenQ G2412HD.

Connection MacMini Thunderbolt output through MiniDisplayport-Adapter, DVI Cable to DVI Input of monitor BenQ G2412HD.

Trouble: :'(:'(
After "waking up" the MacMini from energy saving mode my display just shows "snow".
There is a difference between "no signal" and "snow", this tells me the MacMini is sending something, but the monitor is not able to work with (or whatever).
It takes a lot of "tries" of switching on/off monitor or "hammering" around on my keyboard/Mouse.

Additional Info:
Everything works fine if Mac is started new.
If I unplug the MiniDisplayport/DVI-adapter and switch to the second thunderbold (near to the usb connections), i have "snow" too.

So the question is:
What can I do?
Preventing the Mac of going "to bed" is not the aim.
I can't use HDMI because the BenQ 2412HD has troubles to interpret the signal correctly.
( i found this info in another forum during my research).

Thx for your help,
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I have had issues in the past using the supplied adapter from Apple. You think it would work great being it came from Apple its self. But I have had much better luck just getting one piece cables going from the Thunderbolt to DVI as well as HDMI to DVI. Those cables worked the best, even being cheap. But the expensive adapters just have issues. I think the biggest issue with the supplied display port to DVI adapter that comes with the system was it not being bi-directional or something like that IIRC.. I got around the whole issue by just getting once piece cables.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I have a similar issue with my 2012 Mini and a Monoprice Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. It's not every time, but maybe twice a month. a restart takes care of it for a while.

No much help, but comfort in numbers? :D

OP
W
Reaction score
Thx to everyone, taking care about this issue.

Changing the Adapter from original Apple to a "cheap" product didn't help.
Snow snow snow - although it's winter.

In the end i think I will have to change the monitor. Hmpf!

Anyway, merry christmas!

Reaction score
I have the same snow issue with my Samsung 2494 LW with the Mac Mini. I have tried the DVI to Thunderbolt and also the HDMI to DVI connections and I still get intermittent snow. Very frustrating. Do I need to change a setting on the monitor and/or the Mac Mini, or do I need to get a new monitor and if so, what should I look for in a monitor so that this doesn't happen again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I have the same snow issue with my Samsung 2494 LW with the Mac Mini. I have tried the DVI to Thunderbolt and also the HDMI to DVI connections and I still get intermittent snow. Very frustrating. Do I need to change a setting on the monitor and/or the Mac Mini, or do I need to get a new monitor and if so, what should I look for in a monitor so that this doesn't happen again?

Buy a solid cable and do not use any adapters. Like I posted above. I have a Display Port (Thunderbolt) to DVI and a HDMI to DVI cables. These can be bought from Newegg or Amamzon with little hassle and are not expensive at all. In addition, the Apple supplied DVI adapter is not bi-directional. Which can cause issues with some monitors.. Throw that crap in the garbage and get solid one-peice cables.. This is very important as one piece designs offer less noise interference and better signal overall, even if they are reasonably cheaply made.
Think I paid about $5 for each cable plus tax and shipping for mine.. Not a pocket breaker..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.