What's the difference between an ICA driver & a TWAIN driver?

Reaction score
Earlier today I nuked my laptop hard drive & did a clean install of Yosemite. I just went to the Canon website to download the software for my printer. Actually, the software will be installed on my mini not on my laptop. I have 2 choices - ICA driver & TWAIN driver. Which one do I download? I'm pretty sure that it is the TWAIN driver, right? What's the difference between the 2?

OP
D
Reaction score
ImagaeCapture (ICA) uses TWAIN. Have a read of this from Canon Australia. Works right up to OS X.9 so maybe Yosemite will be supported. Fingers crossed.

ICA Driver Ver. 3.1.0 (OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9)

I researched ICA. It has something to do with servers. I don't have a server, so it wouldn't apply to my situation. I'm 99 & 44/100 % sure that the TWAIN printer software is what I want, so I downloaded that file from the Canon website.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had never heard of ICA as it relates to printers until this thread. It would seem that someone made the rather unfortunate choice of naming a printing protocol "ICA". It is more commonly known as a protocol for Citrix XenApp / XenDesktop, which is a virtualization technology, widely used throughout the industry.

This is why you're seeing its relation to "servers" in your research - because ICA is the lifeblood of a major enterprise technology.

TWAIN is a rather old communication protocol for scanners. Most scanners support TWAIN and the drivers tend to be fairly generic. I believe that opting for that choice is the correct one. I hope it works out for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
I had never heard of ICA as it relates to printers until this thread. It would seem that someone made the rather unfortunate choice of naming a printing protocol "ICA". It is more commonly known as a protocol for Citrix XenApp / XenDesktop, which is a virtualization technology, widely used throughout the industry.

This is why you're seeing its relation to "servers" in your research - because ICA is the lifeblood of a major enterprise technology.

TWAIN is a rather old communication protocol for scanners. Most scanners support TWAIN and the drivers tend to be fairly generic. I believe that opting for that choice is the correct one. I hope it works out for you.

I installed the printer software & tried to print something. OS X told me that there was no printer available. I went to System Preferences & clicked on Printers & added my printer. Then I opened a document & tried to print 1 page. It worked! I'm really getting the hang of OS X!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.