iTunes - Transfer Music to a new iPhone 6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - just bought my wife an iPhone 6 onto which I'd like to put some of my MP3 music for us to enjoy on car trips (new Camry w/ USB connection). I have dozens of varied music albums on my MBPro - she wants only specific ones. My 'Music' folder on the laptop includes many different folders, one for iTunes, others for specific CD(s), another for Amazon DLs, and yet another one for Classicsonline (Naxos online DLs) - a screen shot attached to show the complexity of this folder, BUT seems to work for me - just shows a portion w/ the arrow on the iTunes folder.

Now this music folder is on 3 different backups, including the entire contents on a LaCie SSD external drive - my thought was to simply attach the LaCie drive to her iMac and drag the albums desired to her iMac music folder, and then setup some playlists in her iTunes app which I can then sync w/ her iPhone which is backed up to this computer - seems a simple solution, BUT for iTunes GURUs here, all there other options (like how do you 'skin a cat' question, I guess). Thanks for any comments - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 5.48.50 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep it simple Dave. That's known as the KISS principle. ;)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep it simple Dave. That's known as the KISS principle. ;)

Hi Chscag - LOL! :) Think I know what you mean; thus, drag and new playlists may be the simplest approach! Thanks. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch, iPad Air, iPhone 5s. FonePaw Mobile Solution Expert
Hi All - just bought my wife an iPhone 6 onto which I'd like to put some of my MP3 music for us to enjoy on car trips (new Camry w/ USB connection). I have dozens of varied music albums on my MBPro - she wants only specific ones. My 'Music' folder on the laptop includes many different folders, one for iTunes, others for specific CD(s), another for Amazon DLs, and yet another one for Classicsonline (Naxos online DLs) - a screen shot attached to show the complexity of this folder, BUT seems to work for me - just shows a portion w/ the arrow on the iTunes folder.

Now this music folder is on 3 different backups, including the entire contents on a LaCie SSD external drive - my thought was to simply attach the LaCie drive to her iMac and drag the albums desired to her iMac music folder, and then setup some playlists in her iTunes app which I can then sync w/ her iPhone which is backed up to this computer - seems a simple solution, BUT for iTunes GURUs here, all there other options (like how do you 'skin a cat' question, I guess). Thanks for any comments - Dave :)

This drag-and-drop is good. And I just got a new iPhone. REALLY useful. Thx for sharing.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This drag-and-drop is good. And I just got a new iPhone. REALLY useful. Thx for sharing.

Hi Becky...... - welcome to the forum! :)

Just did what I described above, i.e. attached my external HD to her iMac and dragged a couple of dozen albums into her iTunes library, made the necessary playlists, and put all on her new iPhone - works fine! Just returned from a short 2-day trip and was streaming the music on her phone over Bluetooth to the car stereo - nice! Dave

Reaction score
Transfer Music to a new iPhone 6?

Launch iTunes on your computer and plug into your iPhone to the PC. Click the "File" button and choose to add files or folder from your PC to iTunes library. Click the "Music" icon to sync the audio files. Check the "Sync Music" icon to decide to sync "Entire music library" or "Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres". If you want to copy the entire music library, check that option and it is done by clicking "Apply". While you want to transmit only certain files, just choose the corresponding option and check the specific groups in the classifications below. After clicking "Apply", the transfer begins.If you want to view the transferred files, click the "Music" button under "On My Device" in the left column.

Reaction score
Launch iTunes on your computer and plug into your iPhone to the PC to transfer music from iTunes to iPhone 6. Click the "File" button and choose to add files or folder from your PC to iTunes library. Click the "Music" icon to sync the audio files. Check the "Sync Music" icon to decide to sync "Entire music library" or "Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres". If you want to copy the entire music library, check that option and it is done by clicking "Apply". While you want to transmit only certain files, just choose the corresponding option and check the specific groups in the classifications below. After clicking "Apply", the transfer begins.If you want to view the transferred files, click the "Music" button under "On My Device" in the left column.
Or you can use iOS Transfer to do that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.