Spilled TEA on my mac!!! HELP

Reaction score
Yesterday night I made myself a cup of green tea with lemon and honey. I accidentally tipped the cup over and some spilled onto the left side of my keyboard and trackpad. I immediately wiped off the liquid and flipped my Mac upside down into the teepee position. It turned off itself. Some liquid came out which I wiped off. I freaked out and called my sister who said she would be home in about a half hour to help me unscrew the back panel. When she arrived we unscrewed all the screws easily except for the third screw starting from the left. After about a half hour we got it unscrewed and opened the panel. There was a little bit of liquid so I wiped it off and using a q-tip I ran some of the edges with 91% isoprophyl. I'm too inexperienced to take anything apart so I screwed the panel back in, left my mac in the teepee position overnight and hoped for the best. This morning I woke up and my mac turned on and everything was working great. After about an hour I walked away form my mac to do something and 15 minutes later my Mac wouldnt turn on and the white light faded on and off then disappeared. I panicked and kept trying to turn it on but it wouldn't work. I put it in the teepee position again for about 15 minutes. After leaving it alone it turned on and I am typing this post using my Mac. Can anyone please help me?! Will this be temporary that its on? Should i leave it off and upside down for more time? Should I unplug the battery cords since the battery wont come out? Help please I'm going back to school tomorrow!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Tea, alas, is one of the worst spills possible because of tannic acid. I think you have killed it but look through this sticky, try what is there and fingers crossed adomansk.

Well, I'd have to agree w/ Harry - you likely will need an expensive repair or a new laptop - the proper course would have been to not turn the computer on at all probably for several days, place the device in a plastic bag w/ a liquid absorbent, such as silica gel packets or dry rice - BUT, only time will tell. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
A
Reaction score
My Mac has been working fine since it turned back on this morning..do you still think there will be long term damage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can only say time will tell. Sometimes keyboard and logic board problems follow but again fingers crossed. All is good so far!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.