Buying windows 8.1

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need to partition my drive to use some windows software and while i still have a student email I'm looking to buy the windows 8.1 pro student edition. However on the Microsoft store it doesn't specify if its a disc or download.

Microsoft Windows Download - Microsoft Store UK

When i start bootcamp now, the only option is to install windows 7 so i take it i need to update my mac to yosemite etc. Will this give me the option to install windows 8?

Also ive read you need a usb stick before you start ? is this where you need to download windows to first and if so where will it download to on my mac when i buy it and how do windows to it when i purchase it.

Or am i going about this all wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it says download so that is what it must be.

The USB stick will not work if your Mac, whatever it is as you have not shared that with us, has an optical drive. Burn the .iso file to a DVD and boot from that.

OP
L
Reaction score
Whoops, i just pasted the url and didn't realise it said stated download, my mistake.
Yes my macbook pro has a optical drive, well that seems like my best bet, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

However after i download it, where will i find this iso file ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.