deleting/merging "Users"

Reaction score
I just bought a re-furbished imac with maverick. After I "migrated" my old data onto the new one, I ended up with two users who are both me. How do I merge users? or get of them altogether?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Did you install Mavericks via your Apple ID? If not, you will not be able to update or use the App STore. If you do have an Apple ID, essential, download Yosemite, install and migrate your things over.

Very confusing this owenership of the operating system when it is tied to the Apple ID.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just bought a re-furbished imac with maverick. After I "migrated" my old data onto the new one, I ended up with two users who are both me. How do I merge users? or get of them altogether?

That's because you created an account on the refurbished iMac before you migrated the data over. You're not supposed to do that. The Migration Assistant will move your account over automatically during the process.

Log on with the account you wish to keep and copy everything from the "other" account over. Once you're satisfied everything is working and the account is OK, you can remove the duplicate account.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you still have the data you "migrated" on an external HD the easiest way to achieve your ends might be to start over by doing a clean install of Mavericks. Then import (migrate) your data again.
You say you bought it refurbished. Was that from a licensed reseller or a private individual?

OP
W
Reaction score
That's because you created an account on the refurbished iMac before you migrated the data over. You're not supposed to do that. The Migration Assistant will move your account over automatically during the process.

Log on with the account you wish to keep and copy everything from the "other" account over. Once you're satisfied everything is working and the account is OK, you can remove the duplicate account.
Thanks, but since I already did, and had no data on it (it was one that was created in the licensed mac store) I deleted it and had no problems. --

Reaction score

Interesting - the destructions on the support page state - "If your new Mac already has a user account with the same name as one you're trying to transfer, Migration Assistant lets you decide what to do. You can either replace the existing user on your new Mac, or give the user you're migrating a new account name." As has been found by myself and others this isn't correct!

Am I reading your last paragraph correctly - I should transfer data and create a 2nd account then presumably I should be able to copy by activating file sharing?

I'm kicking myself for not doing the data transfer as soon as I started the new machine!!

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The instructions for using Migration Assistant leave a lot to be desired. A new Mac will automatically run the Migration Assistant the first time it's turned on. The best way to tackle this is to have a Time Machine backup of your old Mac. Attaching the Time Machine drive to the new Mac will transfer the data and your account. However, this does not work if you first create an account on the new Mac because as you found out, you'll wind up with two accounts and confusion.

Am I reading your last paragraph correctly - I should transfer data and create a 2nd account then presumably I should be able to copy by activating file sharing?

Only if two accounts exist on your new Mac and you want just the one.... then and only then copy data from the account to be removed to the account that you wish to keep. After making sure everything is OK, remove the extra account. No need to create another account.

Reaction score
The instructions for using Migration Assistant leave a lot to be desired. A new Mac will automatically run the Migration Assistant the first time it's turned on. The best way to tackle this is to have a Time Machine backup of your old Mac. Attaching the Time Machine drive to the new Mac will transfer the data and your account. However, this does not work if you first create an account on the new Mac because as you found out, you'll wind up with two accounts and confusion.

Only if two accounts exist on your new Mac and you want just the one.... then and only then copy data from the account to be removed to the account that you wish to keep. After making sure everything is OK, remove the extra account. No need to create another account.

Sorry, the bit about creating a 2nd account was meant to refer to what the migration assistant wants me to do as I stupidly created an account before I started the data transfer :(

I'll give this a whirl when I have a bit more time and I'm more awake!! :)

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.