login to icloud failed on iphone

Reaction score
Last year my email provider was bought out and my email address changed and cannot be accessed any longer. I forgot to change my email address on my iphone before the expiration date.
I am trying to update to a iphone 6 but I can't access my icloud account on my iphone 4S because I no longer have access to my old email address. Apple will not let me trade in my current iphone 4S without being able to access my icloud account on the iphone so I can delete it.
I changed my icloud account on my imac but forgot to do it on my iphone. Can anyone tell me of a way to access it so that I can change my old email address to the new one? Every time I wake up my phone I get a message to "Enter icloud password" and I am continually hitting "Cancel". It is a pain to keep doing this all the time, not to mention that Apple will not give me credit for my current iphone without being able to access icloud. The sales person at the Apple Store told me that the itunes and icloud password are normally the same but apparently not because I can login to itunes. If anyone can help I certainly would appreciate it.
Another thing, I never got these messages until I installed a new ios update earlier this year.

Thanks, Ed

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What does your email address have to do with your Apple ID?
I should point out that your Apple ID, iTunes, iChat, Face Time and iCloud account are all one in the same. They all use the same user name and password.
Unless you are saying your email address was your Apple ID user name. If so it doesn't matter if it exists as a working email address, it' s just a name.
If you have changed your iCloud settings on your computer and you can log in to the iCloud web site then you can use the same user name and password on your phone but first you need to delete the old iCloud account. Go to Settings > iCloud and scroll down to Delete Account. You will need to disable Find My Phone if it is active. You will need to enter your old password to do this. Then set up a new iCloud account with your current user name and password (the same as your computer).
You can then turn find my iPhone back on and it should show up in My Devices on the iCloud web site in Find My iPhone.
Delete your old email address on your phone and Add the new one.

OP
H
Reaction score
When I first set my icloud account the email address was not required to be the username. Now it is when first setting up the account. Apple changed their rules for an icloud account and my old user ID will not work now. They also changed the password requirements to have at least one number and one capital letter in it which mine did not have.
I was unable to change my password because the old email domain does not exist now and it was listed on my iphone as the email address. Were it not for that I could have requested a "Forgot my password" and they could have emailed the confirmation to me. There was nowhere for them to send it.
I was trying to trade my iphone 4S for the new iphone 6. They could not take it because I could not login to icloud to remove the "Find my iphone" option.
I had Apple call me today and got it worked out. They had to have me answer some security questions (some of what I got wrong) and verify my credit card info. They are supposed to send me an email in the morning and I will have a 3 hour window to respond and get a new password.
All in the name of security, Apple is trying to get it so that you can use the iphone to scan and pay for items instead of using other forms of payment at checkout at the stores. I certainly will be glad to get the message off of my iphone to "login to icloud" every time I try to use it.

Ed

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks Ed, now I understand. I hope everything works out for you with that. I recently changed all my Apple services over to one Apple ID. I have two Apple ID's due to being an early user of iTunes my first iTunes account was set up using my email address at that time
my name @gmail. In those days there was no iCloud. Later when I set up an Apple email account then called @mac.com I did not realise I was effectively creating another Apple ID.
As Apple services evolved I realised that half of my services were under one Apple ID and iTunes under another (my original ID).
So I decided to put all of my services under one ID, my original Apple ID. I also decided to change my password and initiate two step verification. You have no idea of the problems this caused me. Suffice to say it's all worked out now but it took me a week to sort out. So if you need any further help on these issues don't hesitate to ask.;D

OP
H
Reaction score
I had apple support call me today after they sent an email resetting my password. After several tries, we finally were able too delete my obsolete email and get the login information straightened out so I could delete my old email address. What a pain!
The Apple support people were very helpful and determined to get my problem resolved. I was finally able to turn off the "Find my iphone" feature and then change and delete my old icloud account associated with my obsolete email address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.