Cleaning Up a New (used) Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I am still trying to finish cleaning up a used macbook pro I just purchased. I've done pretty well but got one thing I cant figure out. If I need to provide more information let me know. I have gotten the User name changed to y name: "Steve's Macbook". But, the old users name "Tye's Macbook" shows up in a couple of places and I can find where to change it. You can see his name showing up on the below screen shots of Finder and System Report. Can anyone help? thanks

MacBook_Pro_and_TYE’s_MacBook_Pro__8_.png

TYE’s_MacBook_Pro__8_.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- Boot into the Recovery Partition
- Erase the hard drive
- Then reinstall the OS

Easiest way to "clean up" a "new to you" (used) computer.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Unfortunately I've loaded tons of stuff. Starting over is not an option at this point. If there is not an easier way I will just have to put up with it

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What I suggested above is what should be done when the computer is first purchased (before anything is installed by the new owner).

This eliminates any traces of the previous owner (good, bad, or otherwise). I don't think that there is an easier way of doing things…since even an OS reinstall can carryover info from the previous owner.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
yep, should have thought about what you suggested before I loaded atuff. But you know, all excited, oh well. I'm absolutely loving this 17" Pro. Maybe some day bite the bullet and reset the whole thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Look in System Preferences Sharing and change the previous owners name to yours. An erase and reinstall would be best though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Problem maybe if it is OS X.7 or later, you will not be able to update as it has been set up under the previous owner's Apple ID. Got an Apple ID of your own? If so follow suggestions, download Yosemite or whatever, format the drive and do a clean install.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Believe me you may not be experiencing problems now but if you intend to use the full range of Apple services you will run into problems eventually especially with iTunes Find My Mac and iCloud services in general. This is because the devices' unique identifier will remain registered to the previous owner.
This is an article on what should have been done;
What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support
If any of these steps have been missed and you can still contact the previous owner get him to complete them (he can do this remotely). After that save any files you have installed to an external HD then follow pigoo3's instructions to perform a clean install. It might seem like a lot of work but you will regret it if you don't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.