HP z27i shows no image when connected to Macbook Pro when choosing highest resolution

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently required a new Macbook Pro retina 13" and a HP z27i Display (after reading this Buying guide: The best computer display | Macworld)

It was very important that the display had a big resolution and would work without any issues, so buying a display recommended by Macworld seemed like a no-brainer.

The problem is that I can't get the display to show an image when choosing the highest resolution of 2560 by 1440. The Macbook Pro and display is connected with a mini-display to displayport cable. I also tried connecting a 2010 Macbook pro and a newer Macbook air. Same result.

I also tried connecting to a newer iMac and that actually worked.

Any help is appreciated.

/Attensa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is that I can't get the display to show an image when choosing the highest resolution of 2560 by 1440. The Macbook Pro and display is connected with a mini-display to displayport cable. I also tried connecting a 2010 Macbook pro and a newer Macbook air. Same result.

I think you mean you connected your rMBP using a Mini Display Port adaptor and a DVI-D cable or HDMI cable to the HP?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your HP monitor has three inputs: VGA (analog) DVI-D, and HDMI. The cable you purchased needs no adaptor since it's already Mini Display Port compatible. The other end of the cable appears to be HDMI. However, I'm not sure of quality of that particular cable and am wondering if it's really working right. It's a very inexpensive cable considering the same one purchased from Apple would be much higher in cost.

I believe the cable is not working as it should and is the reason you're not getting the proper resolution for your HP monitor. I could be wrong though so you might want to get some more input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The specifications are those I copied from Amazon - the link you provided. In any event, it does not matter how many inputs the HP has, if the cable is not working right you will not get the full resolution of the monitor. But as I stated previously, you might want to get some more input before buying another cable or returning yours to Amazon.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have recently required a new Macbook Pro retina 13" and a HP z27i Display...

Since you mentioned that you got a new 13" retina MacBook Pro…I'm going to assume that it's a mid-2014 model. In regards to the display…it has 2 Thunderbolt ports and an HDMI port. I'm also going to assume that you are using one of the Thunderbolt ports to connect the display.

I'm sure the solution revolves around having the correct display cable & video adapter (if needed). Here's an Apple FAQ document regarding the Thunderbolt port and connecting a display:

Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.