Setting up an External Hard Drive with an iBook (and maintain compatibity)

W

whyatt

I've just bought a LaCie 250 Gb external drive. How should I format it so it can be used with a iBook and a Linux desktop. If possible windows compatibility would be a bonus. It's main use will be storage for my iBook. Work backup, music, movies etc.

Can OS X repartition hard drives itself? Also can I have two iTunes libary's. A smaller one on the iBook to take with me, and then a full library on the external for at home?

My plan is to get a USB keyboard, and plug a LaCie DVD writer and LaCie HD into it's two usb ports, so when I get home I just plug in keyboard's USB cable and I'm away.

Will this slow down the devices - obviously they will if both being used at the same time, but otherwise?

Thanks guys.

They get here on monday I will let you know how it goes...

Also, I know the file size limit for FAT 32 is 4gig. what does OS X use? Does it support fat 32? can it read ext 3? What is the limit for that? I ask because I like the idea of using Mediacentral and ripping my DVD collection to the external harddrive, and presumably they would surpass the 4gig limit.

OP
W

whyatt

EDIT: sorry about the double post. I forgot the rules. I've edited them together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.